1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowin with zero turn lawn mower?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jay albers, Dec 3, 2009.

1. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

anyone have a plow on a zero turn lawn mower? How efficant is it. I have a scag and they don't make a plow for it. Is there somthing i can rig onto it? like a craftman plow?

What do ya think?
  2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I don't think that would work very well, but i haven't tried it so I can't say for sure. I guess with some chains it would work about as well as a lawn tractor. How wide would the blade need to be to clear the machine? Also how often could you keep up with the snow-I'm sure a couple inches would be fine, but 6-8" with a 60" plow would probably be pushing it (no pun intended).
  3. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

that sucks that you could not get an answer on lawnsite for this question....lots of guys with ztr mowers over there....probably a lot less mower guys over here.
  4. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I was thinking same thing about doing with my grasshopper. The plow that i think i can buy for that is a 46 in i think. The dealer said it moves 6in deep pretty good with chains
  5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

When I went to college they used their mowers for moving snow on sidewalks, and they could push pretty good. They were the 4 wheel drive models though, and quite large. They didn't need chains apparently, and I never saw them spinning. I guess with a z turn you would fare better than a lawn tractor because of positraction. One thought with the chains-because of the nature of a zero-turn, would you risk damage to pavement while turning the machine around?
  6. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

yeh i tried lawnsite they told me to come over here. Lots of kids over there.

From the research iv done so far grass hopper has a real good plow for ther mowers ,even have a v plow. Some people say dont get chains it will not do well because of the way your hydos work, like the one guy said protraction. country ztr has one that attaches to the front arm of most ztr's. I am leaning towards that one. theres one from a nother company that looks real soild, theres runs down the leanth of the mower frame and hooks to the back. its about $900. the country ztr about $500
  7. dan6969

dan6969 Junior Member
    from 62918

8. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have a Grasshopper 725k and am aware of their snow attachments. However, I don't like how the hydraulic filter hangs low and unprotected. I would think would be subject to bashing in the snow.
  9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

The Zero turn lawn mower is a highly specialized peice of equipment and should be cared for and respected. You can plow snow with any old homeowner tractor off of craigslist for 300 bucks. Attach your snow plow to the hitch in the rear of the tractor. The push bar will extend under the tractor and out front where you can attach your blade.
  10. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

"a highly specialized peice of equipment"

that can and should make you money year round..payup
  11. integrityman

integrityman Member

A friend of mine has this set up on his g-hopper except he uses the ag type tire and no chains. Absolutely swears by it.
  12. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

theres some video's on youtube of plowing with a zero turn.
  13. nycjsw

nycjsw Junior Member
    from 22030

I own an Ariens/Gravely 1840 ZT. I've used it to plow about 4 driveways (for free) in my neighborhood that are double wide and about 50 ft long. My Zero Turn is a beast in the snow and will plow great up to about 8 inches (most I've done). We got 12 inches but I broke it up and plowed twice. It could probably handle the deep snow but it would take longer. I use the momentum from the ZT to take it easy on the hydros. When hitting a big pile (3-4ft) I first hit it with the plow raised and try to chip away at it. It does not seem that hard on the hyrdos b/c the tires slip if the strain gets too bad. I don't use chains and the traction is pretty good. With chains I think the traction would be great but I worry about damage b/c most of our driveways are aggregate concrete or stamped/dyed black. I got the plow from a place called Country ZTR. It is built really solid and was only ~$450 for the 48" plow. You have to raise the plow with your feet.

Video of plow in action
  14. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

only one I've had experience with was a grasshopper was a 721. This thing was amazing in how good it did, it would flat out push some snow, only downfall was you froze your a$$ of doing it.