1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowin with a lift

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by midnightsun13, Nov 8, 2006.

1. midnightsun13

midnightsun13 Junior Member

hey all new guy here....im wanting to lift my '90 k1500 shortbed 4-6" but im wondering how much strain its gonna be on the truck...anyone out there plowin with a lifted ifs truck?

2. G&S in Md

G&S in Md Junior Member

Yes

Yes, Did it for 3 years w/ a 98 K2500 3 inch body lift, torsion bar keys & cranked bars,& timberns, plenty of room to clear 35's(even w/ the plow installed) You may have seen the truck before, I live in Damascus too. I had a Myers 7.5 The biggest problem I had was putting the plow on the truck. Other then that it worked like a charm.(except for the ride, but it's a work truck, and it looked good) I now have a 06 Duramax ext cab. I bought a 4in Rancho kit for it, Havent installed yet, I'm gonna wait till after this winter, I want to try to plow at factory height.

3. midnightsun13

where in damascus are you located? theres a chance i might know exactly where ur at or even who you are....if you ever pass the 711 after about 9:00 and theres a red shortbed obs chevy...its me

4. midnightsun13

the keys and blocks is only slight suspension though.....im talking about going to a 6" suspension lift........my thought is that cv angles will stay relatively the same and the subframe and such should be able to handle the impact right? in fact...the only things that should change is steering stuff and the front ds angle....anyone elses plow with a suspension lift?

5. G&S in Md

G&S in Md Junior Member

Yea, Alot of times past 9 especially week nights. I'll keep an eye out for ya. I drive the black K3500 ext cab diesel, If I see the truck I'll stop in. If you see me, I'm Kenny. As far the the cv joints and driveshaft goes, I can get you to talk to a friend of mine who builds them fro a living, From what he has told me is the GM half shafts are very strong,I never had a problem. BTW, you are correct that lift only gave me 2-1/4 inch lift, but if you add the tire lift it gave me its closer to 4 1/2 inches of lift at the bottom of the frame when compared to stock.

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

One of our subs in running a 7.5 meyer (modied by yours truely) on a 1999 chevy 2500 with a 454 big block and a 6" suppension lift and 33" all terrian tires. If you didn't know, the truck looks stock from a distance.

7. midnightsun13

itsgottobegreen: how is that 2500 when plowing? does the lift put any extra strain on the truck? did you build a drop bracket or anything to get the plow at a better angle?

8. itsgottobegreen

Well he seems to have no problem plowing with it.

What I did was. I cut the ears off. Then welded on a piece of 1.5" thick by 5" by 5" piece of steel to the A frame on each side. Then welded the ear back on. Gave him 5" of drop. Since all I had was a 5" wide section. Other wise it would have been 6". We later added a second piece of 1/2" plate in front of these blocks since he twisted the A frame slightly when stacking. Now its bullet proof. Here is a pic.

phil.jpg

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

this guy doesnt seem to have a problem :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  10. midnightsun13

^^^^^^^hahahahahhahahha i hope its pressure treated :nono:

its gottobegreen, if you could get some close up pics the next time you have a chance it would be a HUGE help man....thanks i think im gonna go with the 6.5" dick cepeck

11. itsgottobegreen

Better yet I can come on over and show you what you got to do in person. Might cost you a couple of :drinkup: PM me for my phone number

12. midnightsun13

im 17 but i think i can get pops to hand ya beer or two.........i tryed to pm but i get a message that i dont have access to that page...is there a post limit on pm'ing?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen at Hotmail.com

14. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

that chevy looks like an awesome truck

15. G&S in Md

G&S in Md Junior Member

Is that the AMSCO lot on RT 27?

16. itsgottobegreen

No thats the catholic School in catonsville in the back corner next to the gym.