1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowin wit stick

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by iceyman, Mar 25, 2007.

1. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i know it is posible but anybody that has plowed with a stick before please let me know how it is. i know on a 20 hour day that the pedal will get pushed 1000's of times. im about to buy a 07 f250 and thinking of goin with manual because it will be my daily driver also and i love driving stick. thanks for any input

2. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i did once and i hated it my leg was sore for a week straight

3. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I did it years ago but I didn't have as many driveways then. The one plus is if you get stuck you can crawl out much better with a stick.

4. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I have both an auto and a stick. The stick is in my back up truck. The auto is a lot easier on the legs if you have hours of plowing to be done.

5. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

i plow with a stick and every time i plow i wish that it was an auto.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

my trucks a stick, no problems here, i plow 20 driveways and two big commercial places, its no harder then an automatic to me.

7. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

gold pro did you ever get your clutch fixed? i remember you saying it was on its way out.

8. THEGOLDPRO

yep sure did we had a good sized storm and she plowed like a champ for 2 days, at the end of the storm she was slipping hard, so i dropped her off at the shop and had a heavy duty clutch put in, stock size was 11 inches upgraded one was 12 inches, and some carbon metalic type. feels great now. and surprisenly the clutch pedal is softer then it was.

9. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

good deal that should last you for years to come

10. THEGOLDPRO

haha well thats what i hope im hard on **** so im sure ill be replacing it sooner then most would.

11. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i tend to be quite hard on my truck too i am on my third tranny in 180,000 miles so until i can afford a beefier one i just put in a cheap junkyard tranny

12. THEGOLDPRO

haha it sux because i the end you'll notice that all the money you spent over the years on used trannys it prolly woulda been cheaper to just buy a beefier one.

13. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i know hopefully i will have a good summer.

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I plow 70 driveways with a stik (27 houres last storm) I hated using an auto, last one I used was 7 years ago.

15. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

thanks for all the help. guess i got to decide soon. goin to meet wit my ford guy on tuesday so hopefully i will have a nice new truck soon.

and why are 07 f250 hard to find in march. there pushing all 08 already. 08 looks like mack truck in front grille.

16. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

You won't have a problem or notice it at all if it's your daily driver, once your leg is used to the clutch it just becomes second nature. I plow with AG tractors, for hours and hours on downtown city streets (with MANY stop lights). The operators who drive automatic trucks get in these machines and it's non-stop complaining, but i never find a problem. My truck BTW is the 6-speed ZF manual, but when empty i only use 5 gears!
    hope this helps

-Mike

17. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Nearly all my trucks are stick. I like it better. (More control over the truck).

18. hde12112

hde12112 Junior Member

had 2 trucks with zf6, will never go bad. just get used to the growling noises, gets old plowing but never had a problem with it.

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the top area of the page. Search "plowing with a manual"
    or "stick"
    It's an issue that's been addressed many times.
    The big thing is to dump the clutch and not try to slip it against loads.
    There are tricks to making a clutch last when you plow with it
    It's easy to fry one, so do the search and read the posts.
    After many hours plowing you will be limping,your right leg's giving out.