1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowin streets

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bighornjd, Jan 12, 2011.

1. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Well they suck but I'll post what i got. Want to start a pic/video thread for my dump truck and the work i do plowing and salting for a small local town. I've determined I need a better camera besides my cellphone and I need to learn to not miss the opportunity to take a good pic or video. I took 2 pics last night after topping off with salt and a quick video at about 1am while I was cruising down Main Street trying to stay awake. Quality sucks but I promise better ones to come...

Click the bottom to play. And yes the road is very bumpy, lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

it just dark, well I wait to the next ones.

3. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Well, I didn't get any pics that came out ( too dark ), and forgot the d@mn video camera, but my wife got a new camera and stopped by yesterday morning and snapped a few of me doing some final cleanup after about a foot of heavy wet stuff.

Parked the truck to give it a rest...
    [​IMG]

Another one... (notice the almost empty salt bin on the left, hope the next delivery comes before more snow)
    [​IMG]

Doin some cleanup with the skid...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Few more on the skid steer...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Nice skid, looks shiny and new! Truck is sweet to.

6. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Thanks, just bought it back in the spring, it's an 05 but it only had about 190 hours on it when i got it. I try to keep it nice, got about 325 on it now. Been good to me so far, full cab and heat would be nice, but the plexiglass sides I put on help alot.

7. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Why don't you like plowing roads? Most roads I've done are private high end subs, and I love it. Trucks not quite as big 4x4 GMC 5500, but I run em all backwards, so curb is on my side, and run with em.

8. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Never said I don't like plowing roads? By far i like them better than driveways, and even a little better than commercial lots. Maybe you misinterpreted my first post where I said the pics quality suck?

I occasionally angle left and push some of the smaller streets, but for the most part, I have to push to the right 90% of the time because there is too much traffic. Just have to learn how to use the curb feelers. When the plow guide tip is brushing the telephone poles then you know your close enough. :) It's an old town with narrow streets, so you can't get away with leaving much in the streets and have to get it curb to curb.

I take pride in plowing wide!

9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Nice equipment. Both look new, not just the skid.

10. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Right on!! I misunderstood the original post.

Nice equipment.

11. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

nice equipment man, and very good looking plow.

12. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Thanks for all the compliments. I want to get more pics of the truck soon, maybe some video to, unfortunately all of our storms have been at night so far. The skid is usually just used to load salt in the truck. This was the first time I used it for actual snow, cleaning up the intersections and pushing piles back on the corners so people can see to pull out. I'm still pissed that I didn't have a beacon light on it being out in the streets. I put on a magnet mount in the beginning of the season and hardwired it in to a switch. I had the skid and truck parked at the salt shed over a weekend and some @sshole cut the wire and stole the light. They also reached under the front fender of the truck and cut all the wires to one of the pedestal lights and unhooked the hydraulic couplers on my plow.:realmad: I haven't bothered replacing the light yet since it's not really needed just to load salt. I was kicking myself yesterday for that decision. Need to pick one up this weekend. Now they let me park the skid inside locked up and the truck comes home with me each time. Was nice leaving the plow hooked up and tire chains on between storms, but just not worth the risk if I have to deal with that crap or worse. Oh well, throwing chains and hooking up the plow is done on the clock...payup

13. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

nice pics!

get some side shots of it.

14. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Didn't get any more pics this last storm, had the camera all charged up and ready to go then left the d@mn thing at the house like an idiot. Found a couple older ones buried on my phone though while cleaning it off...
    One from back in the summer before the plow went on - truck actually somewhat clean.
    [​IMG]
    First time with the plow mounted
    [​IMG]
    Waitin on white gold
    [​IMG]
    Pushin open an alley early one morning - one pass with a 10 footer and she's done, not much wiggle room either...
    [​IMG]

Hopefully we get some more snow before the end of the year so I can get some more pics, and more money too of course...

15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice truck and plow. Do you ever wish you had a wing?

16. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I totally LOVE that truck.

17. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Not at all. I only do right in town, which is just over a mile long and about 3 blocks wide. Main street is the only one that really requires multiple passes in each direction to clear. It's tight enough as it is with cars parked on the side and meeting oncoming traffic with a 10' blade even angled. PennDOT seems to be the only trucks around here with wings and half the time I don't even see them down. I'm on the mason-dixon and in MD wing plows are practically non-existant around me. I don't know why they aren't used more, MD SHA doesn't have any that I know of and I don't think anybody pays extra for contractors to use them.

Thanks DeereFarmer, I love it too. It really is in great shape for it's age, and I got a steal on it.:D

18. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Nice looking dump truck.

19. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

the Hereford sha shop does have one for there tandem but i have only seen it on once and that was during the feb. blizzard last year. you head toward Fredrick county west you start seeing them on there T/A trucks. they also have 2 Oshkosh's somewhere.

20. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Cool, I figured if there were any they would be out west. My Dad works for Harford co. and last year was the first year he has seen them put the big snowblower they have on one of the loaders. Its pretty impressive. One of these days i want to stop in the shop he works out of and snap some pics of all their equipment to put in the DOT rig picture thread.

Are you a firefighter? (just assuming by your username) I used to volley at Jarrettsville and Norrisville when I lived in Harford Co. I have several friends who work at BCoFD.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.