1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowin' is so fun....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JasonJ, Dec 15, 2003.

1. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

Got up brite 'n early yesterday to plow, there was only about 8 inches to plow, but the temp was in the mid 30s, so it was wet 'n heavy. I spent the entire day getting stuck, getting unstuck, sliding all over the place, getting stuck, and getting unstuck again. The best though was at one of the schools there was a beat up green car right in the middle of the lot for no reason. After spending 15 minutes plowing around the car, the owner comes from the house across the street and decides to move it back over to her driveway. Brain-dead. I had seen her watching me the whole time and never thought it was her car. I just thought she was checkin' out the handsome dude in the plow rig. Chicks dig dudes in plow rigs.

I went to help the boss get the Bobcat unstuck and got stuck 50 feet from him. Had another guy hook up and pull me out, and then the Bobcat, and the Bobcat got stuck again. Did I mention that I 360'd down one of the streets because the city plows plowed and left that perfect glazed surface? That was fun. I was getting ready to slow down for a turn, barely touched the brake, and that was that. Didn't hit anything, but there were a lot of accidents yesterday. I have never figured it out, everyone has to get in their car as soon as the conditions suck. In the summer on a Sunday you hardly see any cars here, but as soon as it snows, the knuckle-heads come out in full, poor driving, force. Its fun to plow...:D

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

ahh yes getting stuck, happens to much. got stuck 3 times on sunday night, everything was ice:realmad:

3. mainebob

mainebob Junior Member
    from maine

i got stuck 2 times this weekend in my ford f350 and had to get my friend in pull me out both times with his chevy 3/4 ton. it would almost be better to have stayed stuck than to put up with all the ribbing from a chevy guy.

picture.jpg

4. ghostrunner

ghostrunner Member
    from PA

gettin stuck

Well I got stuck in my bosses 89 cheby and I got it unstuck after 15 mins of diggin.

5. shadowmaker1969

shadowmaker1969 Junior Member
    from va

ROFLMAO Yeah us Chevy guys love you Ford guys to call and have us pull you out. :D

Ahhh yeah the idiot drivers. I had my dad clean a section off before I had people move their cars. One guy moved from one section of snow, right into another one. Waited until the idiot got back in the plant and went and told him to move again.

Brad

6. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

yeah, i hate getting stuck...especially when their is no one around to pull you out and you have to call a buddy. somtimes its just better to dig and lose a pound or 2:D

7. Peterbilt379CJ

Peterbilt379CJ Junior Member

Stuck? Stuck? Would be a cold day in hell before I let a Durapad or a powerjoke pull my cumapart out of a snowbank.....lmfao

8. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Hey, . . . hey someone talking about me???? I'm out there on the road as soon as the snow starts to fly!!!!!
    Oh that's right I plow for a living, and that means you have to be a little bit, well, dense.:)
    I also didn't know about the women loving plow guys. D'ya think it matters if they're 50?????

9. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

What in the heck are you guys getting stuck for:nono: . My old truck has highway tires and it doesn't get stuck in the snow. Oh thats right you guys live in the real world where it isn't below 0 all the time. It is a little tuff to get stuck in dry powder;) . Now that I am done picking on you I was wondering......Would a winch in the bed of your truck help you out of any of these situations? I have a Warn 8274 that goes on the front of my truck in the summer but the plow mount requires it be removed in the winter. I was thinking about mounting it behind my fuel/tool box in the bed between the fender-wells. I would then mount a roller on each side of the bed next to the tailgate so I could winch in any direction. I thought it might help out a distressed motorist from time to time also. The 8274 is the old upright Warn so mounting it behind the back bumper is out of the question.

10. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

The winch is a good idea. Mount it on a bracket that fits the reciever hitch. Take it out of the toolbox, hook it up to the reciever and power quick connects, and your out. I may have to think about that.

I have some semi-improved goat paths that people laughingly call driveways, steep off-camber switch-back nightmares. Usually I chain up for those, but sometimes all it takes is a few degrees warmer and your plowing heavy wet snow that compacts into icy concrete. Even fairly flat runs can be a pain. Fun o' plenty....

11. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

A highlift jack can save your behind if you got something to hook it to.

I realy love the guys that laugh about your ford got pulled out by a chevy......yeah because its all about the truck manufacuter :rolleyes: Although I think most of you guys say it in jest :)

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Getting stuck

I gotta laugh every time some one wants to put a plow on a two wheel drive. Yeah right, we get stuck with four wheel drive and lots of weight. The places most of us plow it is a wonder we don't get stuck more then we do. I have seen a few 2WD dump trucks stuck but good. The last snow we got was a shear glaze of ice under the snow. How I never got stuck I don't know.
    That feeling as you slide toward the drop off is just priceless ain't it? Or the plow tripped under full steam ahead and you just became part of the snow pile you been building.
    No wonder the wife will not go plowing with me anymore.
    ( Humm maybe that ain't so bad after all?)

Anytime I see a fellow plower stuck I offer to help.
    He just owes the next guy a helping hand when he see's ones needed.

13. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

I took my girlfriend with me plowing a few years ago, man that was hilarious. She learned that the seatbelt was a good thing, and I learned that if you take a girl with you you better be close to a bathroom often. Needless to say, after eating the dash and having to hold it for hours, she hasn't wanted to come with me again.:D :D :D

14. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

If your hitting something so hard that you throw your girlfriend into the dash, you must not care about your equipment.:eek: Or her.:eek: lol

15. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

I usually don't hit hard, but that one time I hit harder than I liked. I was coming down off of a hill with a big push, using the momentum and weight of the rig, and went for the stack, and mis-timed the stack and dug into the frozen pile instead. Sucked, I am usually better than that, but I had too much speed...