1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowguy ethics... or lack thereof!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by t4dodge, Jan 27, 2005.

1. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

--rant warning--

So we got a little snow up here in Northeastern CT yesterday...
    It was perfect, by the time I got out of work at 3PM it was over we had a good 4-5 inches on the ground and I had plenty of time to kill hitting my very few gigs I do for family and friends... i.e. too much charity work...

I arrive at my best friend's house, whom I alway do a quick scrape on his double-wide, paved 25' long driveway... Since he's "on the way" to a paying account, I always do him for free... But what do I find when I get there? It's been plowed?!?!

So I taunt him, "What?! you found someone else to do it cheaper than me?" His reply was that one of his workers came by to pick up a tax form and asked to do it for him and he said sure...

First breakage of the "code" that I thought existed! "Never touch another guy's gig"

So, onward I go to a real paying scrape, but what do I find when I get there?! A nice clean driveway! WTF?! I pull in, and there's the owner, shoveling out in front of his garage... "Well, I see you're all set..." """Umm - yeah, I was just going to call you - Ahh, my daughter's friend's Dad dropped them off and he dropped his blade and did it for me, hope it's not a problem..."""
    Good Grief!!! Code breakage for the second time on one day!!!

As I explained to my wife when I got home, if i was to drop my kids off at a their friend's house, I would NEVER have offered to drop my blade upon seeing that someone else does it... You just do not do that sort of thing... What gives with that?!?!

Even if I was asked, I would not do it unless they explained to me that the other guy called and said that he could not make or something else and told the owner to try and find someone else... and only then maybe... If the home owner was lying then that's his conscience, not mine for stealing $$$ from someone else...

Of course, my wife doesn't get my rant... I said, there's a CODE!! and some guys just don't seem to care...

ok - done with my rant... sorry...

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

There is no code. There are contracts though. Like ours, it states that any driveway cleared by friends, neighbors, family, etc.., will be charged a $15 stop fee upon us arriving with no call to stop us. Mobile and office numbers are on the contract they sign and initial next to this policy. End of story. We have enforced and collected on this already this year.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I would not say its on the daughters friends father, the daughter was probley oblivious and made a "household decision" to say "ok" to the her friends father to plow. If the daughter did not know it and or did not tell her friends father that someone else is supposed to plow it, how would he know? I would blame that one on the customer for being stupid and not calling you to let you know it has been done. Its not really on the plow guy, we all show up places and drop the plow on occasion, sometimes people just don't know and are trying to help. Its the customers fault.

Randy Scott
    Good Policy :salute:

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Thats why I like commercial plowing vs residential