1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowers pay scale !!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by spiviter, Nov 25, 2004.

1. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

I am looking to find out what the area plowers are getting paid this season.
    I am in IL by ohare airport. If you have a truck it's $63 an hour and if you drive someone elses rig it's about $25.. What are other areas paying out this season ???

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I would not start my truck for $63/hr. By the time you subtract fuel, wear and tear and insurance and such you "might" clear $40 a hour or so and it can cost you big buck it you break something on plow doing contract work. Rest arrused the guy that is hiring you is changing a LOT more than $63/hr for services.

3. roidman81

roidman81 Member
    from nj

real prices

We get 125 per hour as for a huge maintance co. now we have to have 5,000,000.00 liability policys with snow plow riders.. fuel , driver, prep, about 45 per hour.. do the math.. subs get 70 thats it.

4. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

It varies from one subcontractor to the next with me. Depends on a number of things like experience, availability, condition of equipment, reliability of the driver and equipment, and efficiency. Rates are $45.00 - $70.00 an hour with a five hour minimum. The subcontractor must have commercial vehicle insurance to even be considered for work.

Pay for company driven vehicles is around $25 - $30.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

5. Tarkus

It is a better deall to drive someelse truck for 25 to 30/hr than wear out yours for 60/hr.

6. Tarkus

So you charge 125/hr when paying subs 70/hr?

7. roidman81

roidman81 Member
    from nj

rates

yes . our rates are 125 per hour.. after we pay our subs at there rate our profit is about 45-50 per hour.. like i said our insurance rates for our trucks and subs for a season is 15,000 its rated on adjusted gross like workmans comp. so the real number is about 40.. it sounds like a lot but we pay our guys the day after the storm.. our check comes 6 weeks later.

8. Tarkus

This is curiuos, why would you "bond" your subs with your insurance rather than require them to have their own to your specs if they want to sub for you?

9. roidman81

roidman81 Member
    from nj

bond

The brickman group llc the states largest commercial mainace co. requires ALL trcks to be under the same bond.. thats the rule .. and they have a much bigger policy . this is corperate work .. on our job we do is a 24/7 3 shift 500 car lot.. huge liability slip and fall its very high end work . But i know they charge almost 160 per truck so we really dont make any were near what they make. its a good deal as long as eveything goes perfect . in the winter of 95-96 the state shut down but the site was open.. dont you have the same rules?

10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have never had to do this, but from a business owner prospective it's covering your own hind. This way you know everyone has a good insurance provider and you know it will be dealt with. Just because some guy has good insurance, doesn't mean he will stick around to make a claim for you after he does major damage. And this would be a big hassle for the company owner.

11. Tarkus

I guess I can see your point.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

WOW!! $125 an hr. to plow with your own truck, I'm moving to NJ. I'll be right there, I have 4 guys all with there own trucks, and I'll bring 3 more plow trucks all 3/4 ton or better. I pay them $35 AN HR. AND i TURN AWAY ( oops cap lock) plow jockeys who will plow for less. In northern MN. plow trucks are like( well you know) every one here has one.

lets see $125 an hr - $35 is $90 an hr. 5 trucks ( including my self) payup

See you soon :nod:

13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

A buck and a quarter an hour is on the low end of average for my area.

With my tight, compact, and streamlined route, most average snows bring in closer to two bills an hour, bigger or saltier storms can go much higher.

14. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Spiviter, I worked for 65/hr + fuel in that area 4 years ago. I had an older truck so I may have made less than the new ones. I would, at the very least, see if they will cover your fuel also.

15. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

im subing at 50$ an hour :confused:

16. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

TLS......You guys in the Philly area get some MAJOR bucks for plowing !
    But ya gotta cover your expenses for the bit of snow ya get down there.

In my neck of the woods everybody has a plow rig too..........and we get LOTs of snow !
    So prices are LOW !...........geo

17. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

ZamboniHDB
    " It varies from one subcontractor to the next with me. Depends on a number of things like experience, availability, condition of equipment, reliability of the driver and equipment, and efficiency."

Im just curious by this statement. In my mind 5 hours of work is 5 hours. Why does availability and condition of equip have anything to do with the price of rice in China? What this means to me the guy with a brand new rig gets more bones then the guy with an equal but older rig does. Why is that fair? Thats no diff then paying someone that is older then 40 less money then a 30 year old. Dont read me wrong here, if the older truck is having a reliability issue is one thing but to cut his rate is just wrong. I wouldnt mind subbing me and my truck out but the rates here are so low i just cant do it. I now must do it for myself, thus due to the fact my trucks paid for I can prob plow cheaper then the guy with that brand new truck can. I may be making a bigger deal out of this then there is, it just burns me up to hear some excuse to pay me less just because my truck is older.

18. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Robhollar -

First off there are no bonuses. Nor are there merit raises. This is part time or better yet a seasonal job for the subcontractors. Secondly, I never said that someone with a new truck would be paid more that someone with ancient rig. Condition of equipment merely referred to physical state of the truck and plow. I do hire subcontractors with trucks that are rough around the edges and they aren't faulted on the pay scale because the truck might be 10 years older than the next guy. However, if you have rust holes in your truck where you could insert your foot, you won't be hired. This business is very tough on equipment and if you don't have pride in your equipment then you either won't be hired or you won't be asked to return the following season. If over then many seasons, you don't make a reasonable attempt to remedy any physical deficiencies, you most likely don't have much pride in your truck and additionally you could have a poor work ethic. I do realize that people do have some rough times in their life, but over the course of several seasons??? I don't buy that excuse. As for the 5 hour reference, if we make a run and somehow we finish in 3 1/2 hours, my guys get paid for 5. Anything over the five hours, you get paid your actual time in the field.

Rick

19. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Denver area

Does anyone know the going rate for subs in the Denver area?

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

P.S.

The rates I stated are the rates that I average, not what a sub would get paid. Sorry, but I got sidetracked and off topic.

Subs in my area get from $60-75/hr depending on if your subbing for a sub or a sub's-sub. Follow that? :rolleyes: :D