1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowers most embarrasing moments

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kipcom, Feb 10, 2004.

1. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Time to fess up for the 2003-04 winter most embarrasing moments when plowing ... Post a pic if you dare.
  2. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

I have a really nice res customer and last season While going past her garage on an angle when in reverse I caught the corner of the siding. It was below 0 and it blew off the garage into a million pieces. Luckily it was only the corner..
  3. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Accident with my own two trucks

The story: about 10 hrs into the route i was doing a long narrow loading dock section of one of my lots (about 150 yds) . With the vbox in the back, its mirrors only for backing up which i'm now pretty used to. At night there is a building across the street that has two orange glowing lights on eachside of the personal door, that i use as my reference when backing up. Little did i know one of my guys pulled into the lot to wait for me because we were going to a new job he hadn't been to yet. He wasn't really thinking and didn't park the truck in a spot that was out the way, but anyways, he turned of the strobes and left only the parking lights on to help out the alt and batteries and closed his eyes while i finished. To make a long story short, I mistook his two plow running lights as the lights on the building i was so used to keeping as my reference point. Here was the result: my bumper hit my other plow and pushed it up into the body. Actually the vbox took most of the hit but didn't really get any damage other than trading paint(he had the plow fully raised and in the scoop position). I can't wait to see how much its gonna cost!

4. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Don't ya just hate when that happens....:realmad: :realmad: :eek:
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

One of the few residentials i do, and one we just picked up this year has a very narrow driveway. Something like 8ft 6 in. so my boss plow just barely fits in the scoop position. The house and the neighbors fence leave about 2 in on either side of my mirrors. Anyway, my second time doing it, I was backing in to push the pile i just back dragged away from the garage, and was watching the passenger side mirror, when WWWHHHAAMM. I hit the drivers mirror on the neighbors fence. It broke the mirrors corner lense, the one over the turn and marker lights. The rest of the mirror is ok, but the funny part is i have to buy a whole new mirror to fix that little broken piece of plastic. They run somewhere around 300-400 and i not going to replace it till spring so i cant take it out again. :D :D
  6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

This was from last year, so far nothing embarrassing this year (knock on wood). I received a call from someone looking to contract me out. Tells me to show up at this lot at this time. So, I drive down show up at the lot. Mind you it was during one of the big snow storms last year and their was already 6+ inches of snow on the ground. Never been to this lot. I see the guy in his truck and start driving toward him. All of a sudden my truck starts rattling and jumping up and down. Wound up I drove straight across one of the lots islands. I later found out it was landscaped with 2" round stones.

The whole time I'm thinking to myself that this guy is going to think I'm a moron and send me home. Luckily he didn't see me. Best thing, no damage to the truck. LOL
  7. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Plowing my driveway for the very first time (got a used plow this year) I made a mess in the road (private) so I went around the block. (sort of a circle one-way drive) Of course I felt like I made a mess at the turn-off for another road so we went to clean that up. (I was on a roll, but my 5 year-old was pretty wound and had had enough) The snow was also coming down fast, I couldn't see well, and with my son bouncing around in the cab, (there must be more excuses I could use too) I backed into a row of the neighbors' mailboxes. (just so happens I was the guy who had built all the new supports and installed all the new boxes just last summer)

Fortunately only 2 boxes got hit. One just broke loose and fell while the other was only slightly bent and needed new latch parts. (cheap plastic stuff) Since I was the mailbox guy, I had the parts handy and fixed it right away. The tail light on my truck was broken and I found one on eBay for $5 plus shipping. All turned out well and even my pride healed quickly.

Kind of sucks to do damage when not even getting paid for it.:eek:

Since then, I've learned to take my time, NOT take my son, and I've removed my cap for better visibility. Still having a blast with the new (old) plow and happy as a kid on Christmas morning to see more snow when I wake in the morning. :bluebounc :salute:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

When my blade tripped and my plow lights exploded into a thousand peices.:rolleyes: :gunsfiring:
  9. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I shouldn't be laughing Boss because that's the kind of thing that happens to me. But it's still funny to think about. hehe
  10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

It was late at night after a big storm. i was finishing clean-up on the lot at a small office building. I was tired and not paying as much attention as i should have. I finished a pass in which i pushed parrallel to the enterence. When i got to the end of the pass (about 250 yards total) i started backing up VERY FAST and turningthe truck left at the same time. I was using my mirrors and misjudged where the office door was (i turned the weel to hard) and crash right through the glass dorr at about 20 MPH. Had to get a new door obviousley and suprisingly i only damaged the tailgate on the truck and had to get a new one. I have a tendency, like many other plowers, to back up way too fast. Next time i go flying backwards i will turn my head and not rely on my mirrors. If i am backing slowly i will just use mirrors.
  11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

What a stupid place to put a pole.

It wasn't this season, but embarrasing just the same. I was doing the back lot of a condo building, backdragging along their garages. I saw a bike out of the corner of my eye and swerved to avoid it (natural instinct, right). As I looked back to see where the steering input was gonna put me in relation to the empty parking spots I was shooting for, I saw it. The utility pole. On the brakes, and sliding to a stop I'm wishing I'd just hit the bike. It was probably stolen and dumped there anyway.Tapped the pole, I bet I could've stopped if I had one more foot. The pole did a little wobble for a while and I prayed quick and hard that the wires wouldn't come down (while everything was buzzing, you know that dynamo hummm). Got a little bumper and fender damage, and I probably got most of the neighborhoods attention. I was too embarrassed to look up to see how many people were looking out their windows.
  12. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I like this kind of thread...

#1: I was feeling pretty cocky as I had come up with a way to plow this apartment complex (which required about 90% windrowing) with minimal shifting between forward and reverse. I made one pass pushing a large pile of snow, angled it toward the area I was going to stack it, lifted the blade and turned out into the main road and drove back to where I'd started. Well after a few passes, I'd polished the snow-pack to a pretty good glaze and while making one turn into the parking area a bit too fast, I NASCAR style pushed... right into a parked car! The little import car got shoved about a foot over and ended up with a red scuff on the rear bumper. I never got a call on that one, thank goodness...;)

#2: While plowing mostly at night and in lots where I am the only moving vehicle, I have gotten used to a certain rhythm. I get to the end of a push, lift the blade to pile the snow, lift the back blade, put the truck in reverse and step on the gas, and then turn my head to see backward. I was plowing an unfamiliar apartment complex last week (during the daytime) and did this "technique" and came upon a Hyundai in my field of vision, just inches from my back blade. And, as you can guess, because I was already moving, i smacked him pretty good. I jumped out to see if he was OK and to ask why in the hell he would follow a plow truck that close, and he drove off... Not so much embarrassing for me as the Hyundai driver who had to figure out where to get a new front bumper...:drinkup:
  13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Oh yeah! After it happened and I cooled down, It was funny as hell.:nod: :D
  14. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

These are GREAT :bluebounc keep them coming..we all need a good laugh ......:D
  15. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

another one

Im bored at work right now, so I figured I add another one.
    This is from the first storm we had, back in Dec when the ground was still real soft. Anyways, this is the back entrance to my dads property where he stores and cuts firewood. Its up the hill where the arrow is. Well i was trying to do him a favor and get some firewood for his house and since i was doing a property next to this entrance I figured with 4WD and all the weight in the truck i would be fine. Well i thought wrong!! There is a gravel road under there somewhere but it didn't keep me from sliding down tight against the fence. It took me an hour to get myself out of this one. It took my 863 skidsteer and the forks digging in the ground to pull it out.(The chain i had with me grew over 10 inches when i was done) This wouldn't have been so bad had i not had the plow and heaped vbox on the truck. Plus i had just finished a 12 hour plow run and should have just gone home after doing that last account.

16. GoSnow

GoSnow Junior Member

During big storm month 3 years ago,I pushed out driveway across street not realizing i blocked drive end on other side.Dohhh!!
  17. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i will get some pics posted in a day or so:

fisrt story...about 2 or 3 weeks ago we recieved about 8 inches over night and i said screw it i am not going to accounting class. So i went out and started plowing my drive and around our animals. I always make at least one push up this steep hill instead of plowign down just so i have a way out when i push down. well i pushed the snow up and into the pile, started backing down and the whole truck was just sliding sideways (laterally, not like goin around acorner or nuthin) down the hill, i put the clutch in trying to get the back tires and front to grip some but everytime i roll back the truck slides down the towards the swamp more. so i get out the tractor and try to jerk the back end away from the bird pen, no luck. Then i dig and dig and dig (on the side of a hill, ton of drifting) then get out a fifty pound bag of oil dry and use it all up and only got about 3 feet....then i was getting pissed so i said screw it i am driving down the hill a little further and gonna go up the other side..well my front end just kept sliding down until i was pinned against a tree...then i was real pissed...so i dug till i hit dirt and just hammered it into reverse and inched my way out pushing the door in and fender in..doh

Now later i went out to the woods, about a mile drive, so my mum could have an exercsing path, first i am trying to make it through a tight path and am watching the pass. side of the blade because the tree was right there, whammo i hit the dreivers side blade on a tree....i knew i should have stopped then...i make it out to the creek i start to backup a littl eto push this big pile and bamm into a freaking tree i didn't see. pushed the bumper up into the bed, damaged all below tailight and also buckled the bed slightly outwards....i was pissed....but it is an off road truck so i said hell with it and said it is a good excuse to buy my fiber glass fenders and bedsides...so that is next...i will try and get pics on thursday or friday when i have time. have fun laughing
  18. CatDieselPower

CatDieselPower Junior Member

A guy I know (not me) was plowing around the fuel islands at a truck stop that had underground tanks with a manhole cover over the fill valves and got the plow and the left front wheel over the cover ok, but the lid slid off and the left rear fell down into the hole. We had to lift up the back end with the loader then drive foreward. The hole was deep enough to let the right front tire come up off the ground.
  19. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Doing a push to a paved spot on the side of a garage (new spot and needed some space) and I see the gutter downspout being removed from the house.:eek:
    Now why would you put a downspout on the front of a house, then add a two foot extension so it drains in frontof the garage door ?:nono:
    I guess it makes a nice skating rink in winter and you get to trip on it in the summer..
  20. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I posted this last year...But toooo funny not to post again !

The bank next door put up a glass enclosure around their new
    ATM. Ok no problem...........

One late nite, blasting outside, I was happily windrowing our lots.
    Backing up and duh....................forgot about the kiosk and
    RAN the mother right over! OOOOPPPPPPSSSS!

I figured uh-oh gonna cost $$$$$ !!!!!!!:cry:

I talk to the bank lady the next AM. She sez NO PROBLEM geo.
    we were gonna move it this week and put the ATM in the bank
    vestibule because of safety concerns !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You saved us the cost of taking it down !

WOW ! My lucky day !.......................geo:eek: