1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowed with a 2008 2500HD EC LB w/7'6" Boss!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowguy43, Dec 16, 2009.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

So on Monday night I went out to do the driveways and parking lot I have contracts for - this was after a 4" snow shower from Sunnday. I had no issues at all until I came back home to clear my neighbors driveway (lives next door- I do it for free). Anyways, it was 10pm and I was tired and didn't look behind me while backing up- my truck slid off the side of his driveway down towards the woods. I basically was hung up and stuck, the trucks driver door was resting on a tree as well.

I left my truck there with a note for my neighbor and went to my full time job the next morning. I came to work and grabbed our plow truck which is a 2008 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Long Bed with a 7'6" Boss plow. I can now see why all of you guys recommend nothing less than a 3/4 ton truck for plowing. This thing didn't even know the plow was there- sure it had a little weight in the front end over bumps, but the engine and tranny could've cared less. Everything about the ride felt normal and not weighed down at all as compared to my Dakota which you definitely know there's a couple hundred pounds up front. I get home and pull my Dakota out which now has a nice sized dent in the driver door from all of the weight leaning on it.

I went on to plow my driveway and my two neighbors driveway with the Chevy. It was really a beast and pushed snow with ease. The Boss was so frickin fast that I had a hard time angling it to the right position at times since I'm used to the much slower SEHP MM1 Fisher I own. Also I didn't realize that this plow had the Downpressure option until the controller turned Red after I held the down button for a while- it backdragged awesome!

I cleared the 3 drive's in little time at all even though this truck was too long for driveways. All in all I'm convinced 100 percent now that my next truck will be a NBS 2500 Ext Short Bed 6.0 gasser Silverado with at least an 8' Boss- the 7'6" was a little too narrow for it.

You guys have a great truck! Just thought I'd share!

On another note- how do the older 4 Speed trucks with the 6.0 V8 handle? This new 6 speed never hunted for gears and I didn't even need the tow/haul mode while going through my "hilly" area. Thanks
  2. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Holding down the down button actually isnt a down pressure mode, its their way of telling you its in float mode. Glad you are a Boss fan, now its time for you to save up and get one of your own. Welcome to the fan club.
  3. plowguy43

Well I feel dumb, it sure backdragged well then! Yeah those plows are amazing- smooth, super fast, and quiet.
  4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i am a boss owner and my flys after a couple minuets of use. another thing i like about boss is that the head gear doesnt seam like its going to fall off when the blade is down.
  5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

You think you liked that truck??.... The next one you try needs to have a Duramax in it.... You'll be in heaven for sure after that!!!!
  6. plowguy43

If I try a Duramax I'll end up buying one then getting a Divorce! I've just been talking about getting a new truck with the wife and she rolls her eye's and leaves the room! Its just crazy to go from something you've gotten used to over the years then trying something totally different- especially after reading all of the threads here. My truck handles a plow well, but you definitely feel it- the 2500 could've cared less with that 6.0 and 6 speed. My foot was never pushing down hard on the gas, whereas I'm needing to go half throttle a lot of the times with my Dakota especially up hills.
  7. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I hear ya... try what I did and tell her "hunny, now listen to me.... I know you don't want me to buy this truck because it is "X" amount of dollars more expensive than the other one but here is why... It will get alot better fuel mileage (not a ton, but some yes), it will pull ANYTHING... it will last a Sh!t ton longer too.... " I tried that and she said ABSOLUTELY NOT!!....so I got it anyway, a few stomps around the house, slamming doors and screaming and she was all set... just like a three year old that didn't get the mcdonalds play toy he/she wanted.... I just sat back, cracked a cold one and took it in... She loves my truck now... hahahaha wesport
  8. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Easier to recieve for forgiveness than permission.:)
  9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I am not so sure that a duramax is the best plowing truck. My dad has a duramax and I don't like the reverse gear. I have not plowed with the truck, but the reverse gear is really low. Nice for backing up heavy trailers. I have the 6 liter with the 6 speed auto. I really like it.
  10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Yeah, the reverse gear is very low.... Would suck for doing really really long parking lots if you needed to back up the whole way, but for drives and streets it's a MONSTER.
  11. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I have the D-Max/Allison and really notice that low reverse gear. It would be awesome if there was a 2nd gear in reverse. For plowing snow and pulling trailers lighter than 8K, the 6.0 engine in a 2500HD is hard to beat. You've already experienced that a little bit. The extra $$$ for D-Max is only worth it if you have a small pee-pee or need to pull very large trailers for long distances. You'll never save enough money on fuel to justify diesel with the dollars argument. Diesel also gives little gotcha's like twice the cost for oil changes, that distinct exhaust aroma, and MANDATORY $40 fuel filter changes every 10K miles. I love my D-Max, but there's no way I'd choose a diesel again if I didn't pull very large trailers on a regular basis.

Good luck convincing the wife. I just showed up at home one day with a truck and told her it cost less than her shoes over the last 5 years. Yes, she pitched a fit. No, we didn't get divorced over it. It's the only vehicle I've ever owned that made me more money than I paid for it so she's glad I have it now.
  12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

hey, my fuel filters only cost $30!!!
  13. plowguy43

If and when I grab one it's going to be a 6.0 gasser. The difference in price used is huge as well- Dmax's with close to 100k are still going for $20k in my area, whereas the 6.0's are going for low teens. I'll probably go through next season with my truck to save up more cash and then buy the following spring.