1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowable snow for southern New England?!?%

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oakhill2000, Mar 5, 2003.

1. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

They are saying 2 to 6 inches from the mass turnpike southward tomorrow late morning through the afternoon and tapering off in the evening! I like snow and all but I was hoping I wouldn't have to put my sander back on the truck. I suppose it is only March. It has just been a long winter and I am ready for spring. They say 1 to 2 inches an hour form a short time with near white out conditions again. Just a quick moving storm so hopefully it won't be too bad. they are saying 44 degrees for Saturday so that should melt things down.
  2. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Oakhill, Channel 8 said 6"-12" tommorrow for us Ct. boys $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$gotta love it!! This has helped out big time this year. Everybody have a safe plow.:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

this is nuts. they were saying just flurries yesterday, and ive heard 5-10 inches possible. i just took my computer back out of my truck, cause im planning on hooking the plow up. cant plow with too much power:D im ready for spring. i like plowing, but i just want to clean things up.
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Just saw on TWC that most of North NJ is in the 3 - 6" swath. They say the bulk will come tomorrow. Right now it's 50° here!

5. bwamx

bwamx Member

Oakhill where did you hear that?
    The only forcast I've heard with more than 3" was on WTNH 8
    Like ProSnow said.

Others sleeping? or waiting a little?
    Seems like you can almost count on a good storm in the 1st 2 weeks of March.
    BUT We'll See!:rolleyes:

IF this happens.
    Anyway seems like it will be heavy snow, so becareful
  6. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

weather.com had a special alert going across the screen that said 2 to 6 inches possible. I am betting more along 2 anyway. they are never right. the forcast could change between tonight and tomorrow morn anyway. But channel 10 said tonight on the 6 news 2 to 3 but will be gone and clear by evening. Who knows, I am just going to rely on the trusty last minute window to tell me what is going to happen
  7. mdb landscaping

this is a quote from geoff fox on wtnh. they finally admit they dont have a clue:D

"The computer model I trust the most is calling for 1" of liquid precipitation on the shoreline. At 10:1 that's close to a foot of wet, heavy snow. Inland will have lesser, though still significant amounts.

Hold on. There's a part of the forecast I don't like at all. I can't remember the last time we didn't predict a significant winter weather event 48 hours in advance... and so, I worry.

Why have the computers had such a difficult time tracking this system or coming up with a consistent prediction? At this point, I don't know.

Here's what I'm fairly sure of. you will wake to see some snow coming down, and it will be enough to plow. What I'm not as sure of is how much you'll get. We will continue to modify the forecast as conditions change."
  8. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

who knows

Channel 7 in boston was saying 3-6 south of mass pike Where did this storm come from ???
  9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

these ct weather guys are all smoking the same stuff and i think their doppler tenthousand was not Y2k compatable and hasnt worked since.

10. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

I jsut watch the channel 8 rebroadcast and geoff fox is saying that connecticut is going to get whacked!! snow starting by 7am or so.. possibly a little sleet by the shore..... maybe 10"....

I say bring it on.... I need to buy a little more equipment and this will help.....

in southwestern Connecticut:D
  11. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

LOL Jay!!

Oh yea, this is for you... :gunsfiring: W_____ Plows

I woke up this AM to "we may get a little snow after a rainy start & there might be an inch or 2 on the grassy surfaces" to 9 hours later a "NWS Winter Weather Advisory for 2"-4" IF the low doesn't come a little farther north & IF it doesn't intensify before pulling away, then there could be plenty more around here"
    So much for a little break. Today was the first AM I didn't have to get up at 3:30 AM & spot salt 2 locations with drainage problems since the big storm 2-16, with the exception of 2 rain days in between then. Back to it tomorrow I guess. Oh well, it's that time of year I guess.
  12. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

lol BRL now i need to add

:gunsfiring: friggin meteorologists

13. turfguy

turfguy Member

geoff fox

heyI heard that Geoff Fox is Dr Mels son in law??? figger that one out
  14. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Hopfully they are all wrong, as always,

...and we get more for a change:D ,they are perdicting 2-4 for now.
  15. mdb landscaping

just saw the 10 oclock news. 4-8 inches inland, 5-10 on the shore.
  16. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

That's weird, Weather.com, Weather.gov and weatherbug are all saying 2-5 as well as the TV stations from NY. Why is channel 8 so much higher ? As usual, only time will tell. In any case, I guess I have to go put the plow on !
  17. drobson

drobson Senior Member

News for MA is now saying 6-9" boston and south to Cape Cod and 3-6" north up to 495 and 1-2" for southern NH.

I wish they would make up their mind, this has changed significantly 3 times in the last 5 hours.
  18. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I heard what Chuck heard about NJ 3-6" and its here baby. Sleeting right now just saw the roll-off sander from the town go by. ITS COMING
  19. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

did you guys hear anything about Rehoboth area? Weren't they going to get 6-12 because sanders aren't ready? :)
  20. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

ha ha lamabur. I don't have it ready but it takes aproximatly 1/2 hour to put it on the truck and I can pick up sand anytime day or night. The snow isn't supposed to start until 10 or so and end by five. they are saying 4 to 8 now an weather.com. I have a cold and don't feel like being out all night and dealing with this crap. I thought spring was hear! I don't know though, they may be wrong again. The last time I looked at the radar on weather.com the rain sleet line was inbetween long island and connecticut. It was moving north with the storm too so maybe we will get jack. Well I have to go out and throw my sander on now. and my (let me stress) MINUTE mount plow. Let me know how you Connecticut boys are making out down there as this thing moves in!