1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by torence20, Oct 21, 2013.

1. torence20

torence20 Junior Member
    from dixon

when a plow is on the ground does the a frame have to be level or can it be at an angle? if its perfectly level i think the rear of it will hit the ground everytime i hit a bump while its up
  2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

The A frame needs to be perfectly level.
  3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Mine isn't perfectly level, and I've had no issues plowing whatsoever. It's not out by much, but still not level.
  4. torence20

torence20 Junior Member
    from dixon

thanks guys
  5. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Yeah, it doesnt need to be level. You have to be careful that you're not pushing over the top of the plow if it were to hit something or driving the cutting edge into the ground unnecessarily. Think about when you're using a shovel and scraping hard on the ground. Too much upward angle and the shovel digs into the ground, to much downward angle and you lose all your gathering abilities.

Your cutting edge allows you to be a little bit off but logically speaking pressing forward directly in the middle of the plow with your A-frame does afford the best efficiency of both the blade and the truck pushing it.
  6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Took it out today...

It's not level, but only a few degrees off, I'd say..

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Short answer; Yes it needs to be level.

long answer; It's basic middle school geometry, very degree off level further decreases your efficiency. When you angle if the a frame isn't level, the forward corner will hit the ground before the rest of the edge. Every blade that has an A frame above level will have a "smiley face" the outside edges of the wear edge will be worn more then the center. Raise the truck end to the Aframe and the blade trips much easier, more often and you change the designed attack edge of the blade.