1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow would intermitently not angle

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by chevyplow1382, Oct 13, 2008.

1. chevyplow1382

chevyplow1382 Junior Member

Ok, towards the end of the season last year my plow would suddenly decide it didn't want to angle anymore. I would be out for about 6 or so hours and have the plow bucked, try to angle it and it wouldn't budge, I could hear the solenoid click and the pump run, but no movement, the plow would move up and down just fine. So I would move over to a curb, drop the plow and touch either the left side or right side of the plow to the edge of the curb and press the corresponding direction on the keypad. After very light force the blade would break free and move just fine in both directions the rest of the night. This would only happen intermittently maybe once every other night and I think it happened twice in one night one time.
    Neither of the angle valves appear to be bent. I have not taken apart the pump at all to look at valves. Has anyone had this same issue? Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Thank you in advance for your help!

2004 Boss 8' poly RT3 Smart Hitch 2

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only a problem in one angle direction, or both?

3. chevyplow1382

Both, and only occur at the same time. For instance it wouldn't one time just not angle left then not angle right next time. Every time it happened it wouldn't move in either direction at all.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Damaged or contaminated angle valve. :nod:

Remove/inspect and/or replace the valve. While your in there be sure to do a through fluid change if you find any contamination or if it hasn't been done for a season or to.

5. grassplus

grassplus Junior Member

try to loosen the pack nuts on the angle cylinder itself. Thats what I did when mine wouldn't angle. Never got stuck again. You don't have to loosen it much...just about a half turn or so.

6. chevyplow1382

Thank you very much. If they both look ok should I just replace them both?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why replace a good part? if the unit operates properly that's not the problem. If it operates correctly you still have to identify your problem. if you flushed and refill the system and the parts operate properly reassemble and test.

Do you know what you're looking for and how to test for it?

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

One stuck or gummed up valve would cause it to not move either way. That or the valve(s) have bad grounds. They are self grounding and even new ones will have a problem grounding due to paint sometimes. Disassemble the selonoids, clean the outsides of the valves and dielectric grease. Also, it wouldn't hurt to ground the motor to the frame somewhere too.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There only is one angle valve on a Boss straight blade, which is why I asked you if when it wouldn't angle, would it not angle in EITHER direction since the single valve controls BOTH angle directions.

10. chevyplow1382

Since it is an intermittent problem I am not sure how to know which valve it would be, that's why I asked if I should just replace them both. I know the valve could be swollen, that's about all I know to look for. And I have no idea how to test for it.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol, good point, I've got Unimount on my brain right now!

12. chevyplow1382

Ok, excellent. I was under the impression there were 2.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On many plows there are, like got-H2o was referencing to.

The valve that controls the angle functions is the one on the valve block that will have TWO coils stacked on it. Each coil on the valve is responsible for each angle direction but the single valve controls them both..which is why when you lose BOTH angle functions its usually due to the valve, not the coils or their related wiring.

14. chevyplow1382

Is there anything other than swelling that I should look for in the valve?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Any visible contamination, or a cut/damaged O-ring.

16. chevyplow1382

Ok, thank you so much for all your help! :D

17. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

We're about to get a late season bonus snow in Omaha so I hitched up my plow and discovered it didn't angle. The motor would run, but it wouldn't go either way. I knew somebody else just HAD to have experienced this, so a quick search and 5 minutes reading got me pointed in the right direction. I pulled up the parts diagram and figured out which solenoid/valve controls the angling and opened it up. I found one very tiny little fleck of something on one of the o-rings, but the rings themselves looked fine. I wiped off the fleck and put it back together. When I went to hitch it up, the lift switch retracted the ram rather than extending it. After confirming that the hoses were reconnected properly, I resorted to Grandpa's method: hammer. I tapped gently on the long bolts that hold the hydraulic manifold in place and sure enough, something popped loose and it started working normally again. I think I'll dismantle the whole thing after the snow is gone and give it a really good cleaning to get rid of whatever junk is jaming my solenoids.

Bottom line: Everything is working again thanks to an old thread that is sitting in the archives here. A BIG thanks to B&B for the correct diagnosis and easy fix without a trip to the dealer!

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Smart Hitch valve was stuck closed. Sounds like you have some "floaties" ( as we refer to them :D) in there, so your thinking is 100% smart to pull it down for a good cleaning during the off season. I find that the floaties stem from the deterioration of the hoses in many circumstances so if they have some age on them it's a wise investment to freshen those up too while your at it.

:waving:

19. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The plow is 3-4 years old now and on it's second cutter blade. Not the most used plow out there, but certainly old enough to need some basic maintenance. I have no problem at all with yanking off hoses and replacing them just for good measure.

In the past, I've had good luck with tractor hoses made at the local hydraulic shop for my WESTERN plow. They are significantly higher capacity than any of the OEM plow hoses and don't break down as quickly. I'll go that route again for this BOSS plow unless somebody talks me out of it.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Same here and for many years. We use 99% Weatherhead hoses and fittings vs sticking with OEM hoses.