1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow works until it snows or cold

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by markcp, Nov 27, 2014.

1. markcp

markcp Junior Member

Straight blade Hiniker that I store indoors during summer. I use it for personal and a couple accounts.

I move it from shed in September to make room for other things. Hooks up and operates as it should. Next time I go to move it, I have nothing. Controller shows dim green light. I get it inside to check things out, without doing anything, after 30 minutes, brighter green light and it works. I did put on a new solenoid to replace old this fall. But worked after the replacement.

Last night after work I have plow able snow and again nothing works. I have bright green light on controller and the red when I push toggle into float mode. I hear no noise on pump, or solenoid. No lift or angle operations.

I have back read posts here about faulty handlheld controllers. Any way I can test to see if it is my handheld or part of the electrical system is the problem?

Thanks for any help, and Happy Thanksgiving,
  2. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

Jump the solenoid with a scredriver, if it works then replace your solenoid. Might also have a bad ground somewhere?
  3. markcp

markcp Junior Member

Thank you.

First time problem came up, I did that exact thing, and replaced solenoid. New heavy duty solenoid installed. Worked perfectly. Next time, nothing on plow controls. Brought into garage to work on. This is when green light was real faint, but did get brighter. Then started working. Last night, bright green and red indicator lights but no movement.

My guess is either bad ground or faulty joy stick controller? I'll need to pull it into heat and give it a good inspection Saturday.

Luckily I have a skid loader backup, but not near as comfortable plowing or as fast.
  4. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

A thought to determine if the controller is at fault:
    You say as everything warms up the problem goes away. Bring the controller inside the house where it can stay warm. Then hook it up to the cold plow and truck. All works it's likely the controller, still a problem, that eliminates the controller.
    Could be a cold solder joint in the controller, as it warms up it expands enough to make the connection.
  5. markcp

markcp Junior Member

Thanks, that will be one of the next steps. I have a buddy that I asked to bring his controller over to test on my plow also.
  6. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

And you're positive the plow to truck connections are clean and in good shape?
  7. markcp

markcp Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Today once inside, I cleaned up all plug in connections including hand held controller plug in, truck side and plow side connections. I think the the main problem was in the cab where handheld plugged into cable? What ever it was, seems fixed again? I went out for 25 minutes and no problems. After the truck cooled down a few hours, I was still able to make the plow lift and turn.