1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow works but no lights, please help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LilRabbit, Feb 18, 2009.

1. LilRabbit

LilRabbit Junior Member
    from N.E. MI

Hooked the plow up this morning and nothing worked, after playing with the wires the lights came on if I just touched the conecters together a few times then nothing so I looked at the light relays (I think) the 6 relays behind the drivers head light they looked pretty green and nasty. So I went to the parts house and got new ones and put them on and nop still no good. Now when I turn my brights on nothing at all not even on the truck and the blue light stays on the dash, so now I only have dim on the truck. When I unplug the plow everything is fine.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The 6 relay harness is a pain to troubleshoot.

What connectors did you play with to start? Do the marker lights work on the truck and plow? did you check the grill connector? Do you have the schematics?

3. LilRabbit

LilRabbit Junior Member
    from N.E. MI

the lights have been acting funny for about a week or so, staying on even when the daytime lights were on. No lights on the plow work at all not even if I wiggle the grill conector. I changed all my blinker lights in the plow one was rusted in so I cleaned that and replaced the rest replaced all the relays because I don't have a way to trouble shoot or the diagram. I ran an external ground from the ground on the motor to the frame.

4. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Did you check to see if any of the in line fuses are blown?

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

There are 2 inline fuses that power the relays, check those and. Also unplug the grill connector and check the pins, should be 9 or 12 depending on what plow you have. Do you have a test light? I can get you a link to the schematics if i know the year and plow.

6. LilRabbit

LilRabbit Junior Member
    from N.E. MI

the conector is 9 pin I checked the 2- 15 amp in line fuses seems ok. But I found a black wire with a orange tracer that was not conected no end on it in the relays, is is double tan wires leaving the relay then to an extention then the wire is black with orange tracer??? And thank you all for helping me, It is greatly appreciated

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

usually black/orange is also use as a ground (-). The plow harness has a black/orange bolt with the ground power cable to the pump. Also comes off the motor relay, plow valves (s1,s2,s3) and even the plow lights.
    I had a problem like your having in Dec/08. I end up changing my head light switch in the truck A) because I lost my lights, and B) because the switch was getting hot. Last night when I hook up the plow and turn on my headlights, I had nothing to the plow, no light, no parking, not even turn singles. I check my harness (truck side) and found a pin (3rd one with the point shape facing your right arm) was broken. The pin (light blue wire) went to my S2 valve.The rest of the harness was good. Lucky I had a extra harness. Change the whole harness (lights were still attach) and turn on the headlight switch, over switch to the plow lights.

My advice, check the harness plow and truck for any lose pins inside the molded rubber. (B) check your grounds, frame ground, neg wire from the battery to the engine, even on the plow pump. Make sure they are all clean and tighten down. (C) Check the fuse box to see it they have a fuse (a 20 amp fuse)for the headlights. If you have a Chevy (like I do) they have a fusible link center sitting on the firewall (pass side) under a black cover. This were the factory use to install majority of their fusible links. This is always hot (in other words, power straight from the battery). Check your links to make sure there is no breaks in the electrical system. Use a test light. I believe one of these links go to your dashboard. If you do find a fusible link that is no good, u have to replace it with the same size fusible gauge link (a fusible link attach to a 12 gauge, then you would need a 12 gauge fusible link wire).
    (D) Check the harness (plow, truck side) behind the front grill to make sure no metal cut through the harness and grounding out. (E) If you have a continuity tester, use it to test the plow head light harness on the truck side to see if you have any breaks. If you never use one before just ask and someone will help you.
    Always keep this in mind, electric becomes stupid when it loses it ground. One ground wire (even under the dash) broken can make life living hell.

Sorry so long, just trying to give you some ideas

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  8. twinman326

what year and model is your veh? What kind of plow do you have and is it a unimount or ultramount. This info would be helpful

9. LilRabbit

LilRabbit Junior Member
    from N.E. MI

2002 2500hd extended cab 6.0 with western poly pro plow. plow might be 8 - 10 yrs old

10. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I suggest going to the Western website and download the wiring diagram and verify all connections are on proper terminals. This information may also be contained in your plow owners manual.

11. twinman326

12. LilRabbit

LilRabbit Junior Member
    from N.E. MI

I was headed to the dealer see if it was something simple that I was overlooking but now the plow only angles right???? could this get any worse

13. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Do you hear any clicking noise or motor running when you angle left?

14. LilRabbit

LilRabbit Junior Member
    from N.E. MI

one click then motor whining

15. twinman326

Do you have up, and left?

16. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

What type of plow control, joystick?

17. LilRabbit

LilRabbit Junior Member
    from N.E. MI

The plow only went right even when you went up or left, and yes joystick. My friend came over and we pluged his hand held in and still same thing. So I was at witts end so I short chained it and off to the dealer. First check the blue wire going to the valve 3 was pinched and so was the orange and black. So of coarse a new pig tail (probably my fault I replaced about a month ago) so now the plow works but still the light issue. So he pulled all the wires off the relays and redid them and whalla, everything works, but the thing I didn't understand the lights didn't work before I replaced the relays??? Oh well fixed now and Thank You to all that helped me try to figue this out. P.S. I did save the schematic

18. twinman326

good luck. Glad you found the problem

19. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Probably a defective relay. Hope you saved the old ones for spares I'm sure they weren't all bad.

20. LilRabbit

LilRabbit Junior Member
    from N.E. MI

yeah I did save them but they were very green and coated with gunk, and saved the pigtail cause if I ever need one I can just cut where it's pinched and go from there. thanks again very valuble site