1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow worked for 2 months and now its not

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jaynen, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I got an 8' arctic plow and everything has been working fine for about 2 months. This morning I went to turn the touch pad on and there is no backlights. I can hit the angle left/right/up and it clicks to do so on the hydro hoses but the motor doesnt kick in to power those actions. The solenoid is not clicking, but I tested the solenoid and its fine. Also tested the motor and its fine. I tested all the grounds and cleaned them up. Seems like the touch pad just stopped sending a signal to tell the solenoid to turn on. Did the touch pad go bad? A short somewhere? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

check and see if the solenoid is getting input from the control. verify power and ground at the plug for the control.also check the power wire that feeds the control in the cab.

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

there is a fuse on the power going to the controller, myn blows every now and then, quick fix... sounds like your problem

4. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Ya i checked the fuse, the control box has power and ground, the only thing I have left to test is if the control box is sending a signal to the solenoid. Then I guess it would be the control box itself. But I doubt that. I let it sit for a few hours and it turned on, went and touched up a couple of drives then parked and turned it off. Came back a few hours later and it wont turn on again.

5. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Okay another update. I decided to test the solenoid again by using my own input from the battery instead of the controller. Did that and the pump turned on, nothing new. Went back to the cab and the controller finally turned on, and all the functions of the controller work. What the heck is going on? The signal wire for the controller was still connected to the solenoid when I gave it the 12volts. The controller signal wire is giving a 10volt signal. Does that mean a weak ground somewhere?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i think bad ground somewhere.