1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow won't work

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kspiatt, Jan 8, 2010.

1. kspiatt

kspiatt Junior Member
    from ohio

hello i have a western plow with a handheld controller, everything was going good last night then all of the sudden it wouldn't go up, or turn left or right. when i turn on the controller and push up, left, or right the solenoid clicks and the controller shuts off and nothing happens. i have checked and cleaned all of the connections, replaced the soleniod. i can jump the motor and it will turn on, and i have tryed the spare controller that i have. but i cannot figure it out :confused: any help would be very appreciated
    thanks.

2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

We have the same problem. We haven't figured it out yet though. As soon as we do I'll post what it was.

Here is the thread i starting yesterday, there are a couple of suggestions in the thread but it sounds like you covered most of them already.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=96374

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

do you have it inside? i had mine do that a few years ago and it turned out to be frozen.

4. kspiatt

kspiatt Junior Member
    from ohio

i had it sitting inside all night and it still wouldn't work

5. kspiatt

kspiatt Junior Member
    from ohio

ok so i think that i have got it narrowed down to the pump or motor. it is acting like a starter would when it locks up, if i hit it with a screwdriver or whatever it will start to work for a minute and then it will stop working again. but it doesn't work if i hit only one or the other i have to do both in order for it to work.

6. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

sounds to me like the ground wire... im not quite familiar with the western but fisher has a black wire with an orange stripe.. it hooks to the plow motor and the selenoid.. it also hooks to the neg side of the battery.. check that out

7. kspiatt

kspiatt Junior Member
    from ohio

it turned out to be a bad motor. thanks for all the help.