1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't work.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by L.I.Mike, Oct 2, 2016.

1. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I hooked up the plow and when I went to move it up you could here the solenoid clunk and both turn signal lights came on. I had to unhook the plug to get it to go off. I found out
    the headlight relay had a tab broken. Fixed that and the problem still exists. Any ideas where to go next?
    Plow does nothing.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Check for shorts in wiring to plow motor, use jumpers to hook power directly to plow motor to see if it is seized (stay clear of plow). Sounds like you may have a seized plow motor that is causing solenoid to weld itself closed due to high amp draw. If this is the case you will see a huge drop on volt gauge, if you have one. Could also have an internal short in solenoid.

3. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Hot wired the plow motor and it worked fine. Any other ideas?

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Ya got a test light and no how to use it? Have someone work the plow, check the solenoid for current to plow. If it is clicking, may have bad solenoid, bad connections, battery connections/bad ground. Start there.

5. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Ground wire was broken, fixed and all is good. Thanks guys.