1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow wont work

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PremierSnowPlow, Oct 28, 2014.

1. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

I just bought a pro plow for one of my trucks today and i got it home everything was in excellent working order. I go to move it to straight when I was unhooking and I got nothing. I can hear solenoid click, controller works, everything works but up,left,right. And its intermittent, it worked for a few minutes then it didnt. Its a newer plow also, so im stumped. Any ideas? Checked all grounds, connections. The only thing that seams weird is the power hook up, its kind of sloppy and its also full of dialectic grease. More than normal.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What plow is it your talking about.
    You know the rules. Make and model

3. PremierSnowPlow

Western pro plow. Sorry I thought I put it in there

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

U did, he's asking about truck

5. PremierSnowPlow

haha im an idiot. once again, sorry! been a long day re doing my kitchen. its a 2002 f350 PSD

6. dieselss

No. Actually asking about plow. Pro. Plus. Don't usually mean a lot
    Unimount.....
    Ultramount.....3 plug (at the grill) 3 port Iso or 4 port?
    Or new 2 plug fleet flex?

7. PremierSnowPlow

Ultra mount
    3 plug at grill 4 at the iso

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Is motor on pump running? I am guessing solenoid. Try shorting solenoid's large terminals to see if motor runs.

9. dieselss

Yea, Ck the output side of the solenoid. Also watch the clicker light. See if it ever goes off

10. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

"" The only thing that seams weird is the power hook up, its kind of sloppy and its also full of dialectic grease. More than normal. ""

rewire the spaghetti while you can , no fun when its coming down and your under the hood threading wires .

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  11. PremierSnowPlow

I hooked up a backup poly pro and it works perfect, no problems at all. I'm thinking oys on the plow side

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Try tapping lightly on plow motor while someone else operates the control. Stay clear of plow.

13. NE-Parts

NE-Parts Junior Member

Are you getting power directly at the motor when it's activated? Clipping a test light backwards (alligator clamp to the + side of motor and tip of test light to battery negative) and trying to control the plow up, left, right will give you a clue whether you are getting juice to the motor. Could be that the motor has built up corrosion internally and will need replacement or burnishing of the brushes and commutator (if you want to get that far into it).