1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

?Plow won't work every once,and a while?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by one ton dually, Feb 5, 2007.

1. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

I have a 1979 Bronco with a Meyer E-47,and the way I hooked it up is I put in a AUX. battery,and I ran power lead's(2g) to the other battery.My plow solenoid is mounted over by the AUX. battery,and I grounded the pump,and aux. battery to the frame of truck,and the positive of AUX. battery goes to the solenoid for the plow,and to the oem battery.The problem is every once,and a while(only happened 3 time's)I will go to lift blade when backing up,and it's like the plow motor is struggling to lift blade.I noticed that if I angle blade (which is also struggling)a couple of time's all of a sudden the blade will lift right up like there was no problem at all.Could it be that while I'm trying to angle the blade while sitting still it give's the AUX. battery a chance to charge back up,and this is all a low voltage problem?When I say struggle I mean the blade barley goes up if at all,and angle's very slow.

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I'm not sure how you have the 2 batteries hooked.. The 2 batteries need to be same model and same age. Hook Aux. battery positive to positive and negative to negative to the main battery. The plow cables can be hooked to either battery. I recommend connecting the ground cable directly to the negative post of the battery that the positive plow cable is connected to. You also need to check every connection for good contract. Don't forget all ground connections to the frame and engine, and the connection between the frame and engine..

As for as your problem. I would start with cleaning all connections. Possibly a loose connection, of solenoid going bad....

3. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

The E-47,and plow frame I just got done with building.It's all on the front of the Bronco in my avatar pic.That's how my battery's are hooked up so to speak.COOL thing is that it happend tonight on my way to the store,and when I got home,I took my torch,and warmed up the quick connect's,and problem went away istantly!I had this setup on a 90 Bronco but transferd it to the 79.So im going to replace quick connect,and flush fluid incase of water.All my connection's are new,and all my wirring is brand new as well.The oem battery is grounded to frame,and so is the AUX. battery.There is a positive lead going from + to + on battery's.My problem is the quick connect,and fluid flush,and change the filter's.I will post tomarow if the problem is fixed.Thank You for the reply though.

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Sounds like you got it figured out. I hope it works out...

5. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Repalced quick connect,and changed filter's,and fluid,and so far no problem's.The quick connect didn't seem to good either.Thank's for the reply though.

6. sefh

sefh Senior Member

That might be the problem with the angle but the disconnects won't effect the lifting of the plow. If you are running dual batteries make sure that they are identical in size and amp. If not you will charge one quicker than the other,

7. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

There both new 900CCA Interstate's.Will a angle solenoid stick on if I angle and the quick connect won't let it?This making the lift coil not function correctly?I'm new to the electric E-47.Ive alway's had Fisher Traditional style pump's,and valve's.All function's of the E-47 were working the same when it happened.the L/R/UP were all going dead slow,and then I heated up the one quick connect,and it worked all of a sudden.I had someone in truck working Quick stik as I heated.It only took a second or two of heat.It also sounded like the plow motor was struggling.It never did this on the truck I used this setup on last year.The only thing different is the Slick Stik.Everything worked good today after I swapped out filter's,and quick connect.but this is a every once,and a while problem,that I don't need to happen while it's snowing if it ever does.Any output welcome.Thank's all

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How did the fluid and filter's look when you changed/cleaned them? Did you find any ice in the fluid?

9. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Fluid was nice and blue,and the filter's were clean.No sign's of water at all.Im hopping the quick connect was my trouble.time will tell I guess.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I hate to say it but I think your gonna find that it's not fixed :( . The quick coupler's wouldn't cause it to struggle while raising the blade.You could disconnect both of them completely and it will still raise just fine. I'd say it was just coincidence that it began to work again when you heated the coupler with the torch. It sound's more like an electrical problem rather than a hydraulic problem. Especially since you said the fluid and filter's looked good. If your absolutely sure all your cable connections are good then I'd recommend replacing the electric motor. The E47's are notorious for the motor's to rust internally after year's of being out in the weather.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  11. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Is it a big deal to swap out the motor's?Like I said in earlyer post,ive alway's ran the traditional style Fisher.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not at all.The motor's are an easy 10 minute swap as long as the through bolt's don't twist off when you try and remove them as the bolt's go all the way through the motor and screw into the pump and sometime's they will break off.Then you'll have to drill the broken piece out of the threaded hole.

13. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Who has the best deal on motor's?I will swap it out asap.Don't need to get cought in the middle of a storm.

14. sefh

sefh Senior Member

15. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

That's where I bought some of my wirring.Cool deal.I will grab one up,and get it replaced asap.not that we have any snow in the forcast(LOL).

16. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

More to this problem with E47

Well we got 28" of snow yesterday,and last night,and my problem was this.I went out with charged up new battery's in my truck,and I was okay,and then I had the pump move slow problem,and then I heated it up after reading the other post about ice,and just replacing my blue juice,I thought quick to heat it up,and it worked instantly with some heat,and then the new problem started,and that was I could only plow a driveway or two,and my battery's would go dead,and everytime I would touch the slik stick the truck would shut off,and not restart unless it was jumped.I came home,and charged battery for a hour on 6amp,and then went back out to only get 2 more job's done before the truck stalled,and then I got a jump drove it home,and jumped in my one ton dump,and let the E47 truck charge all night,and today I plowed with it for 11hr's and there wasn't a problem at all??It was the best working E47 a man could ask for.I just don't want to buy part's I don't need.Having no snow this year put us in the red.ThankYou for any output.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I was just re-reading some of your previous post's and I didn't see anywhere that you mentioned that you have a ground wire between the engine and the frame as it sound's like you may have a ground problem.The way I'm understanding your wiring you have the pump and the aux battery grounded to the frame.The ground cable on your stock battery is probably grounded to the engine.But you have no ground cable between the frame and the engine.Correct? If not you might want to add one.

18. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Okay,here is how it all is.I have dual battery's,and I ran 2g wire's positive,and negative from battery to battery,and then I have the sileniod for the plow on the aux. battery.I have a top/side mount for the aux. battery,and I ran the positive top terminal to the solenoid for plow,and the side post + to the oem battery.The ground's for the aux. battery go to the radiator support,and to the negative on oem battery.Would a ground problem let me run truck with no problem's,until I touch the slik stik?But like I said earlier after I charged truck for several hour's I plowed the next day for 11 hr's with no problem's at all.Very weird,and I need to make sure it's the pump motor before I buy one.Not getting any snow until wensday put me way behind in $$.Thank's for any,and all input on this issue.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I was under the assumtion that you already changed the motor out? In post 13 you mentioned that you where going to swap it out.I'd definitely change it as a defective motor can pull alot of amps, draining the battery's AND stalling the truck. Also just for verification,where is the original ground cable on your stock battery connected? To the engine (original location)?

20. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

I didn't get a chance to get motor before this storm hit.Again I used it today for about 3hr.'s of heavy pushing,and no problem's.My oem battery is grounded to motor,and body.So is the aux. battery.As soon as a check or 2 come's in I will buy the motor from angelo's.Im just afraid of those bolt's breaking off.