1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't stay up

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sabre124, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Sabre124

Sabre124 Junior Member

Hi, I have a unimount electric control (not cable operated) the plow turns ok and lifts fine..plenty of power to lift but as soon as you let go of the control it falls...removed the valve the controls the lowering and cleaned and checked for debris ..looks ok...not sure where to go from here..thank you

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  3. Sabre124

Sabre124 Junior Member

Ok did that and nothing changed..... This is where my thoughts went also..I removed the valve and cleaned the valve and verified it moves..it seems to move fine...is there something internally that could be letting fluid by? Thankyou for the help

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Try closing the quill all the way. If it stays up then replace S1 valve. If it doesn't you got something internal wrong.

5. dieselss

Another test would be to test light that s1 coil and make sure your not giving it power when your in raise

6. Sabre124

Sabre124 Junior Member

When I get home from work today I will try closing the quill ..good call!! And I pulled the wires off of s1 to make sure nothing was giving it power..thanks again...I'll report back

7. dieselss

Was this happening all of a sudden, or did something lead up to it?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  8. Sabre124

Sabre124 Junior Member

i had the plow stored for the summer and when i went out to my property to pick it up this is what started happening to me...im seriously wondering if the s1 valve is somehow messed up...i did pull the valve apart and made sure it was clear and moving freely but whoknows maybe i missed something...i will try closing the quill all the way and see if it holds it up....looking at a hydraulic schematic online it looks as tho if i close it i wont be able to lift it while its closed...is this correct or am i missing something?

thanks

9. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

Make sure the o rings are good on the valve too.

10. dieselss

The quill adjusts drop speed. So if you close it all the way, it may not drop.
    The valves are not serviceable tho, just o-rings and seals.

11. Sabre124

Sabre124 Junior Member

ok i raised it upand ran the quill all the wary in and it still dropped but very slowly...so im guessing the s1 valve is bad

12. dieselss

You removed it before and looked at it correct? I thought you said you did.
    Replacing the s1 would be a good place to start

13. Sabre124

Sabre124 Junior Member

yes i removed it, unscrewed the valve from the body and removed the plunger and springs cleaned and reassembled and re installed with all the same results....i thought it was moving freely..unless its worn inside and getting hung up...i can get one locally for 40 bucks... ill throw her in tomorrow and see what happens

14. dieselss

Only other thing would be to put it in the coil, and supply 12v to the coil and see if the valve moves properly. But that's not always that accurate. It'll at least give you an idea if the valve is moving

15. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

S1 has an internal check ball. If this is not seating properly the plow will never stay up. Replace the valve.

16. Sabre124

Sabre124 Junior Member

alright guys....i replaced the valve and bingo shes working great...thanks guys for all the help