1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't sit level

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jleveke, Jan 16, 2014.

1. jleveke

jleveke Junior Member

I've got a 2013 Chevy 2500HD Reg Cab 4wd with a 8.5 Steel Western MVP.

I noticed the other day that when in "V" formation the middle of the plow sits on the ground but the two outer edges of the blow blade sit about half an inch above the concrete. If the plow is straight, everything is more or less okay. When wind-rowed either direction the issue isn't as bad, and when in scoop no problem at all. What I've also noticed is that the middle of the cutting edge has worn about a half inch more than the rest of the plow.

I did recently install a low-pro spreader on the back and I'm now carrying about 1200-1500 lbs of ice melt. The chains are adjusted properly and there is slack when in float. The height adjustment near the pivot is second from the bottom.

I don't plow in "V" formation often, I'm just worried that I'll blow through a cutting edge quickly when wind-rowing. Any thoughts?

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Is the a frame sitting level?
  3. GONZO911

GONZO911 Member

What year is the plow? The newer MVP plows have adjustments on the plow A frame for leveling. Also when installing the plow there is a certain height it needs to be set to. All laid out on Western web site under service publications.
  4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The weight of your spreader is causing the front of your truck to lift up, and bring the plow mount along for the ride. This means that the a-frame will be pointing more DOWN towards the plow, and causing the point furthest FORWARD to drag more than towards the back.

When you have the plow forward in scoop mode, the effect will be less obvious, because it will then be the ends of the plow that are down, with the point lifted. When you have it set straight and pushing to one side, it will wear the LEADING edge mostly.

I would suggest getting the thing levelled up -- the mount/pivot of the plow needs to be adjusted closer to the ground.
  5. jleveke

jleveke Junior Member

Thanks JasonV, that's what I thought I just wanted a second opinion before I tried the adjustments