1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't raise

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bbrody, Jan 9, 2016.

1. bbrody

bbrody Junior Member

Hey everyone, new to the site and looking for help. Bought a western unimount straight blade with mount, harness and joystick controller for our expedition. It's all mounted and hooked up, but the blade won't raise.

Here's what's going on so far: all the lights work, and the controller has power (red light is on), the plow will angle left and right, but when placed in the raise position, nothing happens and the red light on the controller goes out. Any thoughts? I'm suspecting there's a short in the controller, since the wire used to activate the left angle is the same wire used to activate the raise function according to the schematic....but I'm lost here. any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

So the motor doesn't run when you try to raise? Find a friend and try another controller.

3. bbrody

bbrody Junior Member

the motor doesn't run when I try to raise it, but does run when I angle left or right

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

What controller u have?

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

This is clearly a controller issue. He has the six pin hand held. Consider running a bypass switch. Just a little push button on the dash that applies 12V to the Not always hot small pin on the motor relay. Then press both the controller up and the bypass button at the same time. Just a trick to get you by until you can get a good controller.

6. bbrody

bbrody Junior Member

Thank you for your help...I'll admit this is a bit embarassing, but here's what happened: During the installation I noticed the red wire from the controller was broke free from the connector. I bypassed the connector and hooked the red wire from the controller to the red wire on the vehicle harness...Well this morning I was getting ready to take the truck and look at another controller to buy. In preparation I was "rigging" the harness to plug into the one I was going to look at. While doing this I somehow realized the red wire from the harness was NOT supposed to go to the red wire on the controller....plugged the wires into the right location and it all worked...All I could think to my self was....what an A$$HAT!!! one little mistake and I spend a week troubleshooting it and chasing my tail! Well at least if this ever happens to anyone else I'll know exactly what it was....now...can't wait to use the plow!