1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Won't Raise. Please help me diagnose!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sigma.40, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

I have a Western Unimount Plow. I took the plow off a few weeks ago. However, I needed to move it yesterday and when I hooked it up to the truck, the plow would not come up. It worked great when I removed it. We tested the electrical plugs coming out of the truck and they had power going to them. When I hooked jumper cables from the plow motor to the battery, I was able to raise the plow up. Then (without the jumper cables attached) I could turn the plow left and right without issue. When I lowered the plow back down, it would not come back up. I can hear electrical noises coming from either the engine bay or the plow area when I try to lift it. What should I be checking or looking for?

-Also, this morning I went out to mess around with it and after a few tries, the plow raised (without jumper cables). But again, once I lowered it, it would not come back up.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would start with cleaning all connection. If that doesn't help replace solenoid.

3. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

I have very little electrical knowledge, and I certainly don't mean to question anyone, but if the electrical plugs that connect the truck to the plow are getting voltage, wouldn't that mean that the solenoid is good?

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

No, 12volts with 4 amps is gonna make the motor run. Bad connection or solenoid can show voltage and still restrict amperage.

Try shorting large terminals on solenoid, if plow work replace solenoid.