1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't raise or angle

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by spitmon1, Dec 9, 2010.

1. spitmon1

spitmon1 Junior Member
    from Vermont

I'm having a problem with a SD HD 75. Was plowing fine, then suddenly it would not raise or angle. Could hear the pump running when activated, but no movement of the plow. Kept plowing and at one point the blade took a bump from the driveway and suddenly it was all working again.
    This has happened a couple of times. The plow is 1 year old. Do I have a bad valve?

Thanks
    Steve

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Any chance the grill connector was just a little loose? if the connector comes partly undone, the power pins are still connected, but the control pins are not - so it would only go left. That could explain it coming "back to life" with a bump.

3. spitmon1

spitmon1 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks for the reply Scott. It seemed to be fully inserted, but I will coat with more dialectric grease and reinsert. However, why would it not raise either?

4. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

If it was that (partial disconnection), it wouldn't do anything except go left. Left is the "default" condition for the plow - so if it's already all the way to the left, it will seem like it won't do anything (even if the pump is running).

5. spitmon1

spitmon1 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Scott
    It has done it a few more times. The connectors are fully inserted. And the plow is not fully to the left angle.
    The pump is running, it tries to lift or angle, but cannot. It seems to me like a hydraulic valve is not fully open or closed. Could this be the case? When it is working, it works great.

Thanks
    Steve

6. spitmon1

spitmon1 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Scott
    Could this be a sticky relief valve? Or a controller issue?

Steve

7. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Intermittent problems are the hardest to solve - but those are both possibilities.
    Taking the relief out to clean it is easy enough - might be worth looking at.

8. spitmon1

spitmon1 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Hey Scott
    Here's the update. I've checked all the valves, seem to be fine. Good voltage to the coils. Tried swapping the coils around, no difference. Drained and changed fluid.
    I loosened the hoses at both angle cylinders and activated left and right. No fluid escaping at either hose. I'm now suspicious of something with the pump as there seems to be no pressure anywhere.
    Any other suggestions?

/Steve

9. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

10. spitmon1

spitmon1 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Just an update. There must have been condensation freezing in the reservoir. I flushed and replaced the fluid after warming the unit up. Then added 4 oz of Seafoam Trans tune. Been working like a Dogg ever since. I guess I will be sure to do a complete flush each fall. The vented system must be more susceptible to moisture.
    Steve