1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wont move

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Hudson0602, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Hudson0602

Hudson0602 Junior Member

I have a western unimount and I cannot get it to move at all, I changed the selinoid earlier out in the storm and that made it go up and doen but not left and right, now i have nothing and it sounds like the motor its moving and it is putting a huge load on the battery but nothing happen except my voltage goes way down.......looks like im going to piss off some customers.......HELP also looking for a western parts dealer in Michigan

2. Hudson0602

Hudson0602 Junior Member

Slowly loosing my mind...........I changed the solinoid and the pump motor, after I changed the solinoid nothing changed same problem, so I changed the motor and it would go up and down but not left to right, then it just stopped doing everything.....PLEASE HELP I HAVE CONTRACTS THAT I COULDNT FINISH AND WE JUST GOT OVER 10" of snow

3. Hudson0602

Hudson0602 Junior Member

Should I try a new controller???

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

try a controller. wiggle the plow plugs back and forth while someone runs the plow. check for magnetism at the coils. then do the valves shift?

allied truck equipment in grand rapids is your bet for parts.

5. Hudson0602

Hudson0602 Junior Member

I tried a controller, and it doesnt work, Im not sure if the valves shift or not but I'm 90% sure it is electrical but I dont even know where to start..........I will check my connections because my lights stay on as long as it is pluged in so Im assuming that some wires are crossed or that i wired the solinoid wrong........any other suggestions would help.......Ill let you know how it goes.....I have lost so muh $$$ in the past coule days

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

make sure its full of oil. it amy have enough to raise but not enough for back and forth.

7. Hudson0602

Hudson0602 Junior Member

Back in business!!!! Thanks for all the info. I changed the solinoid, the pump and the controller and its hard to pin point which one it was because one of the controller wires was out of its harness, the pump was tested and it was bad and the solinoid was rusted and broken......so it looks like it was a combo hopefully my luck will change sooner or later.....thanks again guys

8. IGETPLOWED

IGETPLOWED Junior Member

Just went through a similar problem Replaced the motor on the plow and the master solinoid and it was still happening intermittently. I was told it was an electrical problem cause the alternator wasn't able to provide enough power to open the solinoids so that is why it would only move in certain directions. And the bad alternator eventually burned up the battery. Good luck!

Dan

9. Hudson0602

Hudson0602 Junior Member

I could be my alternator but I went out last night and my voltage gauge stayed strong, I think Im going to hold off on it untill I can get a high output (200amp) alternator, so for now I think Im in business but I will keep that in mind....thanks for the additional info