1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow won't move

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bird, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bird

bird Junior Member

First cold weather and sure the plow was froze up. Got it into the garage and thawed it out.
    Drained the pump disconnected the rams, removed the filters. removed the ram hoses and connected them then blew them out used a suctionhose to pull any residue from the rams.
    blew out the filters and reassembled the plow added new fluid. I overfilled the reservoir but didn't worry about it. Tried to move the plow and all I got was a solenoid click. No current draw. What to do??:confused:

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

We need a lot more info...what kind of plow? what vehicle is it on? year of plow or at least the era of the plow....etc. Then we will be able to help =]

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

the birds the word:drinkup:

4. bird

bird Junior Member

the plow motor is an E-57H. I did the dirty and got away with not changing the fluid for 2 years. The plow is three years old. Its on a 1988 dodge. I plow in naples new york. Average 150" of the white stuff. This year it is starting early.

(QUOTH THE RAVEN NEVERMORE)

5. bird

bird Junior Member

I guess the rig is a E-57 MEYER ELECTRO_LIFT with ELECTRO TOUCH CONTROL

6. bird

bird Junior Member

checked and cleaned all the power contacts used dielectric grease everywhere. Still get a reaction at the firewall only.

7. fun2fun

fun2fun Junior Member
    from ohio

I don't know if this will help, but check and see if you pump is grounded.

8. danknight60

danknight60 Member

LOL IT'S FUNNY I DID THE SAME THING LAST YEAR AND THEN I WASD BUGGING OUT
    YOU NEED TO BLEED THE SYSTEM
    JACK UP THE PLOW TO IT'S HIGHEST POINT AND THEN FILL THE THE reservoir CLOSE IT THEN LET THE JACK DOWN
    IF THAT DON'T WORK U HAVE TO BLEED THE SYSTEM OK

9. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I don't know jack about Meyer plows, but it sounds like your solenoid bought the farm.

10. bird

bird Junior Member

thanks guys for the suggestions. I think I found the problem I took the motor off and disassembled it. Three of the four brush springs were totally rusted up. Now where to find a brush kit. I have a part# 15854 any suggestions out there? I really appreciate the help that you guys give. 150 yrs of experience is FINE as long as it isn't150 yrs 1 year of experience 150 times. LOL

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  11. bird

bird Junior Member

Got out the WD-40, and freed the springs as well as cleaned the armature. Reassembled and the plow is running fine. Just in time to snowing hard and visibility is only about 150 feet. PLOW ON!!!