1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wont move

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by killed300ex, Feb 6, 2007.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

The boss plow on my friends truck just stoped moving. You can hear the pump trying to move the plow side to side or up and down but it wont move. if you go into a snowbank and the plow raises and you push the up botton on the plow it will stay in the raised position it just wont move on its own(except down). Plow is an 8ft super trip edge bought new last year on a 2005 dodge ram 2500. Any ideas what this could cause this?
    Thanks
    Evan

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

When was the fluid changed last and the filter/ screen cleaned?
    Has the reservoir ever been cleaned out..
    lastly what fluid is he (your friend;) ) using.

Sounds like it's clogged.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sound's like it's froze up or clogged up. Like Snofarmer said, is the fluid clean and free of ice? I'd check the reservoir for any ice or debris.

4. killed300ex

I think I will change the fluid tommmorow see if that helps. Fluid has never been changed plow only has maybe 10 hrs on it max. I will go to the boss dealer and get some fluid tom morning I hope thats the problem.
    Evan

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You didn't say it was a new plow....

Did he have a dealer install it or did he do it him self.

What I'm trying to get at is what fluid is in it now.
    A new plow should work, well like a new plow.

You say the pump is trying? is it slow, growing or does it sound normal...

Now I'm thinking electrical.
    Take a look at his electrical hook up, batt, solenoid, ground etc,etc...

If there is atf in it and you had some of this cold air thats been going around then it could still be the fluid.

6. killed300ex

The truck was bought from a dealer with the plow installed (Dealer takes it to the local boss dealer) So it should have the proper fluid in it. The pump sounds like its laboring trying to move the plow. I think I will still replace the fluid tommorow go over all the electrical connections ect see if I can come up with anything. It would seem to me that its a fluid problem almost like the pickup in the pump is blocked?
    Evan

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

It should have a warranty then?
    How far away is the Boss dealer...
    There time, parts and fluid??

I would give it a good going over, then if I had no luck I would
    take a new plow back to the dealer.

good luck. :waving:

8. killed300ex

the dealer is 1/2 hour away I think we will jsut take the truck to them since there is suposed to be a 2 year warrenty on the plow. I have a feeling its the fluid as when I just went out to check the fluid when I pulled the cap off the 90 degree elbow I was frost on the underside of it (leading me to think there is water in the system) Also when you pull the cap of the elbow is the fluid suposed to be visible when the plow is on the truck?

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Frost inside the fitting... not a good sign.

"Also when you pull the cap of the elbow is the fluid suposed to be visible when the plow is on the truck?"

Are you talking about the filler cap/vent?.
    There should be fluid everywhere in the system.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, when you look in the filler, you should see the fluid.This is with the plow on the truck and both wing's in the V position. Does sound like it may have water in it.

11. watertownmain

watertownmain Junior Member

Had a guy come in yesterday saying motor runs but plow don't move, looked in resevoir full of fluid, pulled drain plug and sure enough frozen about 3 inches from the bottom up.

12. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

want to run

i would think the dealer would take care of it for you no problem when you check the oil completely raise the plow to compress the lift cyl,and retract the wings to full vee you should have just enough oil in it to take your hand and rock the plow and have it slosh into the elbow.any good plow oil boss,buyers,Curtis now western is made to military spec 5606 it disperses water,if it had atf put in it ,it attracts water(splash water on it get milky)don't know what storage and weather conditions you have but i would think it should more than ok to go a year without changing oil and not have a problem i had one come in after 4 year's and 0 maintenance and he had a problem had water from condensation built up a when it froze -19 it sucked into the screens and crushed them *(there are two) thawed it out ,drained tank changed filters,o-ring drained cylinders flushed system with kerosene,flushed that out with oil and refilled with the correct oil,this was the first one that was this bad,the boss is not this problem prone with attracting water!

13. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

unplug it make sure all contacts are clean,

14. killed300ex

We finnally got around to changin the fluid in the plow it now works perfectly. The oil that drained out was almost pink defintly had a decent amount of water in it. Dont know how it got there but its gone now. Lets just hope We get to use it again soon. Thanks for the help
    Evan