1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't move

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Iowa, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

Was moving the plow today. I had it halfway up, backed up a little bit, tried to raise it and I saw sparks. Set it down, nothing would move, not to the angles either. I've got the Western Uni-Mount Pro plow 7.5 The solenoid under the hood DOES click.

I'm thinking/hoping bad motor?

Secondly. Bought it used at the end of October from a dealer. I haven't even used it yet. Do you think the would fix it for free since I haven't even used it yet?
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  2. alittle1

alittle1 Member

Of course they would fix it for free. You would give back money on contracts if it didn't snow, wouldn't you.

Check the fuses first! Then go over the connections again. Where were the sparks coming from? More info needed.
  3. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

I think they were coming from the postivie connections. I was in the truck so I couldn't really see.

What connections to look at? Where are the fuses located?
  4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I'm thinking maybe a loose ground wire and or a corroded ground wire. There should be a good size wire bolted to the plow frame somewhere. Look ans see if it's loose or all gunked up.

Good Luck Mike
  5. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

All I see that might be ground wire is a little black and orange coated wire that is connected to the negative terminal on the motor. Then it goes in the light harness wiring.

And to bypass the ground/solenoid, I put jumper cables on the battery, hooked the neg up to the neg on the motor terminal and touched the positive with the jumper cable and I still have nothing.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  6. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Check and clean all the electrical connections first. If that does nothing try giving the motor a smack with a hammer and block of wood. Maybe the brushes are stuck and a quick rap with a hammer will free them up.

If you're in central Iowa, I know a place that can rebuild a pump motor pretty cheap. I had one rebuilt for like $35.00 last year.

Good luck and keep us posted,
    Mark K
  7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Sounds like its the motor then. :mad:
  8. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm taking it in tomorrow.

I also drained the fluid, and noticed there were METAL SHAVINGS in the resiviour when I drained it. They will be looking at my motor and pump and shuold be fixing it for free, since this is the first time I've moved it since I bought it.