1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow won't move

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PremierSnowPlow, Nov 15, 2014.

1. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

8' poly pro ultra mount. Orange/black wire is hooked to neg term on battery and other Orange/black wire is connected to neg term on solenoid. Plow won't move at all but I get power to the controller. Now if I jump a wire from the solenoid where the orange/black wire is to the neg terminal on the battery it works. Any ideas?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is it hooked up like this

tmp_12931-Screenshot_2014-11-15-19-28-25-1241877852.jpg

3. PremierSnowPlow

Yea. Everything is hooked up correctly. The other day it just stopped working, bought a new solenoid and hooked it up the exact same way and now it wont work. Tried my buddies controller and solenoid and still won't work thinking I either got a bad solenoid or my controller went bad but nope.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Test light the output side of the solenoid while operating plow.
    Is it at least clicking

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If it works when you jump from relay (small lug) black / org to battery ground then you have a break in your ground wire. A quick fix would be to just build a jumper and connect it from the relay to the battery negative or any convenient ground. This will effectively bypass the break if you can't find and fix the actual break.

6. PremierSnowPlow

Thats what I ended up doing but didnt think that it would be a good idea for a permanent fix so I posted here. But, if its fine ill just leave it. Dont really feel like tracing wires.

7. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

Put a new solinoid and change check the ground again, do u have a spare controller to try also

8. mishnick

"Put a new solinoid and change check the ground again, do u have a spare controller to try also"

Are you out to lunch???? We have already determined that the "motor relay" or "solenoid" (not solinoid) is working and it's a broken ground problem. Do you always recommend changing good parts just for fun? 'And a spare controller???? The controller has nothing to do with this issue either, and they cost over $300 !! When you know what you're doing you don't throw parts at the problem just for fun. Try looking at the schematics and listen to the symptoms before giving advice.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  9. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

Sorry brother just trying to help

10. mishnick

Help is always appreciated but you have to read and understand the previous thread entries before participating.