1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow wont move

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dmen, Jan 19, 2011.

1. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

Newbie here. I have a 8 ft mm1 that when i hooked it up yesterday wouldn't work. The lights come on, the motor makes a noise when i press raise , or left or right. i here a clicking noise from under the hood, but the plow will not budge.the cover on the wire harness(the one in front of the hydraulic fluid reservoir I believe) is cracked , I don't know if this would affect it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. Brookside

Brookside Member

I had a very similar problem yesterday with my MM1. I hooked it up and started plowing normally, then all of a sudden it wouldn't raise or angle. The motor and pump would run but the plow wouldn't budge. On a hunch, I poured a kettle of boiling water on that valve area on the side of the pump, and used the plow for the rest of the day, until the evening, when it stopped working again. This time the motor/pump wouldn't work, though. Today I found that the motor relay (solenoid) was shot, replaced it and back in business. BUT, today was mild and above freezing. I think my original problem, and maybe yours too, was one or more of the valves in that area where your cover is cracked, were frozen up. I'm going to take that cover off tomorrow and see what it looks like in there, maybe condensation?

I hope somebody more knowledgeable replies with some advice. Good luck with your repairs.

3. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

Thanks, i will look at that in the morniing, by the way we live about ten miles away from each other.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Dmen: If the motor is engaging but your not getting any action, then your solenoid / motor relay is fine.

Get someone to help you, and take a screwdriver and test for magnetic pull at each of the valves on the side of the pump (under that broken cover). Someone will have to (attempt to) operate the controller whiles the truck is on.

The cover being broken is not that much of an issue, other then a few things....The coils and the wirings are exposed to the elements, making them more susceptible to corrosion, and the other thing is; whatever caused the cover to break...may have damaged or dislodged some wiring or other components. Pull the cover and inspect for damage, corrosion, and loose connections.

I'm in Windham, so if you get in a bind and need help.........

5. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

Thanks for the reply repoman. I will remove the cover (it literally falls off) and check for any loose connections. The cover was actually broken before the winter so i dont believe that it was damaged when the cover was broken. I will have my daughtet attempt to opwrate the plow while i check for the magnetic pull.. I am in new gloucester

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

Oh sweet, like I said, if you get in a bind just let me know, I'll give you a hand with it.

7. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

Im working on it now. The cover that is broken is the solenoid cover. Qhen i first hit the controller this morning the plow started to move, maybe a couple of inches then stopped. Now it just winds when i try to move it. I have been trying to contact the guy i bought it from, he buys and fixes fishr plows out of auburn but cant get him to return my calls. This is my first plow and needless to say i am struggling a bit

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

You mean mike.... I wouldn't hold your breath too long.

9. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

Yep, hes the one

10. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

I checked the magnetic pull , and out of the three only one had a pull to it.

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

You went through ALL the functions (up, down, left, & right) ...right?

12. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

i only have my 5 yo to help so she just held a button down, I guess that would explain why i only had 1 pull. On a side note i need to get some of that dielectric grease for my connections, today my lights haven't turned on yet, but their was some ice build up in the pins and receive soi would think that would bethe cause of that..where can I get some of that?

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

Napa will have it. It may not be Fisher's, but so long as it's a dielectric grease you'll be fine.

Make sure to clean and dry them real well before applying. Brake cleaner in combination with a hair dryer in these temps should work good (heat first to get rid of the ice, then cleaner to remove the old grease & dirt). I've even used boiling hot water before...just make sure NOT to turn the truck on if you go this route lol.

See if your daughter can hold another button for you to go through the steps lol.

Which pump do you have?? And How many connections at the grill? Can you describe the location of that valve that did have pull?

14. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

i have no idea what pump i have, i am a plow virgin. I have 3 connections at the grill, 2 on the left side and one on the other the side. the pull test i did, their were 3 in a triangle formation, two on the top one on the bottom, the top right had the pull, and im pretty positive my daughter was pressing down.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

which diagram is correct and which S# is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

the first diagram and s1

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

You have SEHP pump with an ISO setup.

The S1 Valve by itself is the lower function. See if she can hold one of the other 3 functions, or tape it place for a second.

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

double post

19. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

we tried them all, we had a pull on all except when we hit the raise. before i forget, thanks alot for taking the time to help.i appreciate it alot.

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

No sweat man.

The plow doesn't move at all when you select the right function?