1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Wont Move

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by StonewallFarms, Nov 5, 2010.

1. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

Hooked up the plow today to my truck and all i get for a response is a "Straining" noise from the plow. It will jerk a tiny bit but will not go up down or side to side.

my first instinct was to check the fluid... yet it was full

second i checked the battery connections... Fine..

put a new battery in the truck... still no go

cleaned the plugs and applied new dielectric to them.. no go

is there a valve stuck in my motor?

Plow is a 9' MM1 with the insta act huydraulics

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I'm thinking clogged pump, junk motor, corroded wires at the cartridges, or possibly a bad wire within one of the control harnesses.

First remove the cover to the cartridge coils on the plow....how do they look. Next, take a 12volt supply and supply power to each cartridge on the plow.....anything?

3. RepoMan207

from Maine

after thought, will it "jerk" going side to side, or just up and down?

4. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

same response if its up and down or side to side.. where is the filter located? i looked quickly in the manual but didnt see anything about the filter

5. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

also replaced the solenoid as well..

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

It's on the pump itself, which is inside the reservoir. It may not be a bad idea to tear it down now, and give it a good olé fashioned cleaning.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  7. RepoMan207

from Maine

Chances are, if it's functions are responding (even slightly), it's not the solenoid.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Here is a break down.

[​IMG]

9. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

Thanks

im gunna pull it apart sunday and give it a shot... ill keep you posted

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Never hurts to do a reservoir drop and clean out but that won't likely fix it. If it's at least straining and "twitching" then it's making pressure, the valves just aren't being opened. And to lose all three valve functions it's most likely because of a broken/corroded coil ground lead or faulty controller. Easy enough to check the coils for magnetism (which I think you'll find they do not have) and then back track from there.

11. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Why on Earth would you put 12V to each cartridge? All you need to do is to check them for magnetisim.

12. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

Quick update.. I pulled the cover off of the motor yesterday and discovered a wire had corroded. put the new wire on, cleaned all the connections and now its working fine.. thanks a lot for all your help guys.

13. performanceplus

performanceplus Senior Member

I am having the same problem. Where was the wire that you changed? My plow will go up and down. But it also goes up when I try and move it left. When I try and go right it just clicks.

14. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

By the sounds of it the wire that he repaired was one of the ones that connected to the coils. They are located under the plastic cover on the pump motor.

15. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

Performance,

The wire was behind the cover with the coils. I couldn't tell you which wire it was off hand, they were all pretty bad. let me know how you make out

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Just to make you ask question Big Guy :D

Sounds like the S3 cartridge is malfunctioning due to whatever reason. See breakdown chart above to locate it. It could be the cartridge itself, a bad connection, controller, or even a bad harness. I would start by inspecting it.

17. performanceplus

Ok I will check that. I am going to do it in a few. The S3 is the one with the wires or the other side?

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

ahhhh, I'm not sure what your asking. See below for location. It's the last one out, the long one.

instaact cartridge.jpg

Does this look like your pump? What do you have for a plow if not?

instaact cartridge.jpg

19. performanceplus

I did the power test and I have power. I think it must be the valve. It is clicking when it tries to move so it wouldn't be the solenoid right? I didn't get a chance to pull the valve because it got dark. I will try that tomorrow. I did take the cover off and all the wires are in good shape.

Thanks.

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

Power test? Can you elaborate....do you mean bridging the connection from terminal to terminal on the solenoid?

If the plow is functioning, then it's not the solenoid. I think the problem your having is the S2 Cartridge is not operating when it's supposed to, this could be due to a broken wire within the harness, a controller issue, or a faulty coil / cartridge valve.

When you operate the plow to the right, does it operate properly?

Take a screwdriver to the S2 cartridge, while someone operates the plow to the left. Does the screwdriver have a magnetic pull to the S2 coil?

Double check your connectors at the grill, make sure they're clean, and that the pins are solid and not broken. Any dirt, corrosion, or weak pins can be signs of your culprit. Die electric grease is your friend. Also assure that your controller in the cab is plugged in properly.

If you have a second controller, you should swap them out.