1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wont move with lights on?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MNLars, Dec 31, 2011.

1. MNLars

MNLars Junior Member

I am new to snowplows. I bought an older 7-6 ultramount pro plow last spring and it seemed to work fine. Now, if the lights are off it will only move right or up part way. If the lights are on it wont move at all. and the lights dim when I try to move it. I can hear the motor running, but it doesnt move. Does this sound like a poor electrical connection or dying truck battery? Thanks.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

check your grounds

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

yea,,sounds like your grounding out through the headlights. deff. ck your grounds.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Is this an isolation module unit or are the lights switched by relays? The first thing I would do is put a voltmeter on the motor, or just put a booster right on the pump motor and see if it sounds normal. Clearly you have electrical problems. As others have said, you have a different ground for the lights and the motor so perhaps the main motor ground is failing and the current is trying to cross over and get to vehicle ground through the light ground. Have a good look at your grill plugs, especially the big two pin motor An power plug. Be sure they are clean and making good contact. An easy test to verify motor ground would be to put a big jumper cable from vehicle battery negative to the negative lug on the pump motor. If that makes it work you narrow the problem down to that one strech of cable and one plug.

5. MNLars

MNLars Junior Member

Thanks for the replys. I cleaned the connections today and thought all the grounds were good and still not working. I will try the jumper cable thing tomorrow.

6. dieselss

is it a relay system or iso system?

7. dieselss

nevermind i saw ultra mount