1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't move! Help please

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kjacobs, Aug 29, 2016.

1. kjacobs

kjacobs Junior Member

1997 f350 7.3l diesel . Have a 8 ft ss fisher straight blade 3 plug with isolation module. After sitting for 3 months while having a bunch of work done on the truck. Went to move plow and nothing no movement at all no noise . No plow lights nothing. Joystick lights up. Swapped joysticks with a new one still nothing. All pins are intack and greased at grill. All grounds and connections at soliniod are cleaned and dielectric greased. Hooked up jumper cables to pump and truck and pump made plow jerk. I'm at a loss and really can't afford to keep throwing parts at it. I'm also very new to plows and extremely new to anything electrical. Any help greatly appreciated .

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Double check all the plow fuses first.
    Is the positive and ground for the plow tightened at the battery?

What was done to the truck?

3. kjacobs

kjacobs Junior Member

How many fuses are there? I found 2 or 3 at the isolation module? All wires are as tight as I can get them I re tightened the wires at the battery and solinoids. Replaced the fenders,rocker pannels.

4. dieselss

Either 3_4
    Double check your solenoid wiring, if you didn't put it back properly, your not getting power

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Get a wiring diagram, you didn't connect a power, or a ground when you put it together.

6. kjacobs

kjacobs Junior Member

Where would I get a diagram? Every possible wire is hooked up. I even tried switching things around couple different ways

7. kjacobs

kjacobs Junior Member

8. kjacobs

kjacobs Junior Member

This is how it's hooked up. Top big red wire goes to positive battery terminal.

9. Randall Ave

Go to the western web site. It's all there in documents. Go to parts and service, then service publications library. I think your missing the small ground on the solenoid relay.

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Short the two large terminals on solenoid with screwdriver, stay away from the plow. Does plow motor run? Yes, check for signal at solenoid with test light. No power at signal you have wiring issue. Do have power replace solenoid. Motor does not run when sorting terminals and you do have power at signal wire test for power at the motor. No power, connection issue. Have power at motor, motor is shot. Pretty easy to troubleshoot with a test light, just follow the power from battery to plow.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  11. kjacobs

kjacobs Junior Member

Where does the small ground attach to? The inner fender?

12. kjacobs

kjacobs Junior Member

Also 2 questions looking at all the wireing scamadics online show the 2 big red wires In oposit positions then where I have them would this make any difference? Second questions is I have a small red/green wire attached on the top post with the big red wire but none of the diagrams show that wire anywhere?

13. Randall Ave

Do you have a test light, and know how to use it? On the motor relay, on the small terminals, what color wires are on those? Take a clean pictures of that. Not from the side.

Bchsnow likes this.
  14. kjacobs

kjacobs Junior Member

I do not have a test light and not sure how to use one. Here's a cleaner picture they are red/brown orange/black

15. dieselss

Here it is

Screenshot_2016-08-29-16-31-55.png

16. dieselss

The blk/og is ground.

17. kjacobs

kjacobs Junior Member

. This site won't let me upload a picture says file too big so I will try to explain best I can I will start with small terminals one wire is red/brown other wire looks orange/black but it's faded and has yellow on it aswell. There's another orange/black wire that runs from the negitive battery cable and into the harness connected to the soliniod it loops back in and runs over to the drivers side? The top big terminal has a big red wire that runs to the positive battery cable and there's a red/green wire attached to the top big terminal as well. Bottom big terminal has a big red wire that runs to the grill plug. I hope this makes sence to somone

18. kjacobs

kjacobs Junior Member

No one has this plow setup and can snap a pic of how there wired? That wire scamatic above is like reading Spanish to a guy like me that has no clue about anything electrical? Really not sure what I have backwards here but no wires were removed while truck was being worked on so everything is attached but must be backwards I tried switching things around on the soliniod couple weeks back still nothing

19. Randall Ave

I'm not busting here. If you cannot use a test light. Get someone who can. Look at the diagram Dieselss posted. It's all there.

k1768 likes this.
  20. dieselss

Where is the plow ground wire hooked up?
    The 4g black?
    Did you remove the battery(s) while doing the repairs?