1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow won't lower

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by toddon22, Jan 30, 2010.

1. toddon22

toddon22 Member

i have a 7.5 meyer with an e-57 pump. i just put it on this evening and lifted it up and drove home, and i went to lower it down and it won't lower. it angles a little to the left and right but it won't lower. i really need to fix this anyone can help?

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

A coil not getting power. black wire. A valve not shifting.

3. toddon22

toddon22 Member

how do i check to see if the coil is getting power or if a valve is shifted? i really don't have an idea on how to do this

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you need to see if the a coil is getting power. it is the black wire. if it is, does the a valve shift? you will have to take it out and look at it..

put a jack under the plow. when you pull the a valve the plow is going to come down.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

and it will spray fluid all over from the valve hole.

to test if its getting power you will need a volt meter or test light. from the black wire to ground and some one to work the controls

WATCH OUT if they move the wrong control or you are in the wrong place you can DIE, you can get crushed by the plow it has a lot of power

6. toddon22

toddon22 Member

thanks everyone actually it was what i suspected very low fluid level. didn't notice it till last night got some blue fluid filled it up it works fine now

7. theplowmeister

from MA

Would some one explain to me how low fluid level will prevent a ram from collapsing

8. toddon22

toddon22 Member

i wish i knew. i filled it up this morning with fluid, went out and came back a few hours later and it works perfectly for me now. don't know how it would prevent it from collapsing but it must of.

9. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

maybe it had water in the coil and it finally melted to free up the coil...mine have been having that problem recently. in a p[inch i use a mapp gas torch to heat the coil a little and the pump and it ususally unthaws.

10. theplowmeister

from MA

I was going to say water because low fluid cant prevent the ram from lowering

11. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Most probably is water in the hydraulics,it froze up on your way home and thawed out with the addition of the fresh ...warm?... oil. Repeatedly cycle through all functions on the plow and then check to see if the fluid is cloudy, if so drain the pump and cylinders and replace with fresh blue fluid.

cheers and good luck