1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't lower

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Snaaar, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

5 year old 9' hiniker: I removed pump, drained fluid, cleand interior, cleaned/ greased electrical connections, attached pump, filled w/ fluid. The plow raised and angled well, but when I attempted to lower it, the 15 amp fuse at the relay box blew. I replaced it, and the controller lit up and the plow moves well in all directions except still will not drop. Tried controller from other truck and no change, so I believe the controller is fine.

My manual mentions defective lift return valve or coil as possible cause.

Any of you have experience w/ this problem?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Does the light on the controller change colors when you putt it to float?

sounds like the wires on the valve block were reversed.
    on top or front coil blue, looking at it the right coil is tan wire, the left coil is gray.

Cheek your connections for the float valve solenoid.
    Also possible it's a defective coil.

3. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

port "C" is on top, it is for the lift/ lower/ float, the coil and valve is the one that is in front center

4. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

Light at "Float" on controller does not illuminate, and there's no noises heard when I push the joystick down.

Looking at valve block from front, the right wire is orange and left is green - this is correct because my other Hiniker is the same and works fine.

Should I test for defective coil, and if so, how?

Thanks.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

No light = no power

6. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

Power light works. Plow angles and raises fine.

When you say no power, are you suggesting that something inside the controller is shot?

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Snaaar "Power light works. Plow angles and raises fine".

:rolleyes: lol.. light on you have power... no light, no power...

There is not much to go wrong in the controller, It sounds like it is working o.k..

When you try to put it in float does the light change color?
    The fact it will raise is making me think the coil is o.k.????
    Cheek the pins in the plug.
    On the Hinikers there kind if small. They will bend or break off, resulting in a loss of functions.

Try it (the plow) on another truck and see if it works.. or swap a coil from another Hiniker and see if it makes any difference..

But I'm thinking it's the plug????

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol it could be the coil.
    sorry if it sounds like we are going around in circles...
    Does the plow work when it is hooked up to a diffrent truck...
    if not then get a new coil..
    if it works then look at the plug..

9. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

I'll hook the plow up to a different truck tomorrow. I can say that the plugs and receptacles look fine. BTW, the controller has two LED's: one for "POWER" -red I think ,and one for "FLOAT", yellow I believe. There is power to the controller - power light comes on. Plow moves up, left, right. I noticed today when I tried to drop the plow, there was a brief flicker of light at the "FLOAT" LED.

We're going in circles because you know these plows much better than I, it seems.

I'll post tomorrow - thanks for stooping to my level, SnoFarmer!!!!!!

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

No stooping needed:waving:
    you'll figure it out.... hopefully before it snows....lol
    The Hinikers are fairly simple set up to work on, I'm sure you will be able to fix it yourself.

The plug looks good .that's a start.

I think it's the coil... but hooking it up to a different truck will confirm it. or you could swap a coil from one of your other hinikers and see if it makes any difference.
    I don't think it is the controller.

11. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

Switched the subject plow to another truck. Blade still won't drop and any attempt will blow the fuse.

My manual identifies a 'down solonoid' (two components pictured below). I could switch the inner components (left in the picture) and leak more oil: I already switched the outer "sleeve" featuring the threaded terminal (one the the right), but there was no change in performance. Where is the coil? I feel dumb.

12. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

Picture of two components

Copy of 122-2207_IMG.JPG

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

In your pic the coil is on the right and the valve is on the left ...

O.k. you have the valve back in and the coil back on too.
    Did you try the just coil from one of the other hinikers on it?

Trying it on a different truck with a different coil...reason
    1. The other truck was to rule out the controller.
    2. To rule out any shorts in the wiring harness..truck side was at fault..

Take a good look at the wiring on the plow side of the wiring harness for any chafing.. a good place for a short to develop.

I would have thought that that coil was shot....sounds like a short.

I'll dig up my schematic and take a look at the wiring harness.

Unless someone else has any ideas...

14. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

After trying coil then valve then coil & valve from another plow w/ no success, I reinstalled original valve and coil in the subject plow.

There's no short or chafing in the brown wire between the down coil and the male plug. We removed the brown wire from the coil, then moved the controller to "lower" - the fuse did not blow and there was power at the coil end of the wire as shown by a test light.

I then disconnected the black ground wire (the one that runs from the coil to the pump housing) from the coil, and reattached the brown power wire. We moved the controller to "lower" and the blade dropped fast! The fuse did not blow. Now the plow raises, lowers, and angles seemingly normally, but the down coil ground wire is disconnected from the pump housing.

The coil is itself grounded at its end, right?

What the F? I'm more confused than ever. Should I contact Hiniker?

15. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Can you post a few pictures of it????

16. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

You can see where the ground wire is now disconnected from the down coil (blue crimped end is just under an inch from the threaded terminal where it is supposed to be connected). Now the plow seems to work.

122-2215_IMG.JPG

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

O.k. How did the blue crimped wire get connected to the coil???
    And where did it come from?

lol... Good idea for the pic:waving:

That blue crimped wire is a ground, it does not need to be connected to the coil.
    Your are right the coil is self grounding..
    Where to put it??? cut it off, remove it. the valve body is bolted down and the ground comes from the truck.. I would get rid of it.

Here is a pic of mine..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  18. Proscapez LLC

Here is how mine is set up.
    my plow wouldn't ground to the body, but maybe thats because all the paint on the forks.

PUMP.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The neg on the power plug serves as the ground for the plow to the truck..

Lawns & More, Is that the stock coil for the raise and float?
    Mine only has one terminal on it for the hot lead.

I have not changed a thing on mine.
    But, I notice that both of you have grounds(neg) coming from the pump motor.

??? How old are your plows?

My hiniker is 4yrs old,. The reason I ask is that in the pics of your plows I noticed that some of the coils are grounded to the motor.. While all of mine are grounded internally to the valve body.
    Ttwo different kinds of coils... great,, That will make getting parts easer... lol...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  20. Proscapez LLC

My ground on the truck wasnt making a good connection when I hooked it up because of the factory coating on the bolt.
    if you look at my pump motor by the ground you can see where I was grinding it down trying to fix it, but it ended up being the ground on the truck that was bad.
    Yes it is the stock coil.
    Mine is last years model 2005.
    I think the grounds were put back on to save the controllers from melting down.
    You could use either one, like you said it ground thru the coil.
    I'm thinking that Snaaar's down coil must have a short in it that why it keeps going blown fuse's and wont work with the ground wire hooked up.