1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wont lower

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by PlowTeam5, Jan 9, 2011.

1. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

I checked everything that the books states to check when the plow will not go down. Everything seems to be in working order and it still wont go down. It power angles both ways with no issue. It will go up, actually its stuck up right now with no problems. The plow is new and I used it 4 times so far. I plowed this morning with it and had no issues but once i got home, it wouldnt go down.
    Thoughts?

2. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

This is a 7'6" straight super duty plow.

3. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Going on a long short for you, check all the pin connections, make sure none are bent or broke. could there be anything in plow frame? something got jammed in there while plowing? Valve is sticking? Could remove valve check for some sh%! in there and fluid.
    Maybe something on frame truck side loosened up ? Just chucking ideas at you

4. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Always check grounds. I assume with plow in air you cant remove cover to see elec connections inside

5. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

know anyone with a boss plow? try swapping hand controllers.

6. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

I checked all the pins. Like I said, I was plowing with it and when I got home it wouldn't go back down. It is stuck all the way up.

7. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

Question, will they smart hitch work no matter where the plow is, as in if the plow is all the way up and I put the controller in the float position then hit the smart hitch button, will it still work?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It will run the pump but if there's an issue with the drop valve not opening due a problem with the valve itself or the wiring or controller it won't power the plow up or down.

To begin diagnosing the issue...

1) Disconnect the 13 pin plug
    2) Run a 5 amp fused 12V jumper wire from the battery to the # 4 pin on the plow side plug keeping your feet clear the plow blade. Does it lower with the jumper wire? If so, then it's a problem on the truck side, either the controller plug isn't making good contact or the controller itself is faulty.
    [​IMG]

If it doesn't lower with the jumper wire test...

1) Crack the lift hose open to get the plow safely on the ground (have plenty of shop towels and some extra fluid on hand to refill later) and remove the top pin from the lift cylinder therefore allowing you removal of the pump cover.

2) Be sure the ignition and controller is on and in the float position.

3) Use a metal object (wrench, screwdriver etc) to check the drop coil (one with the orange wire) for magnetism. If it doesn't have mag check the wire connections on it to be sure they're connected securely.

If you get this far and find no mag and no reason for it post back with an update and we'll continue further diagnosis.

9. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies. I took the plastic casing around the pump and solenoids to find a wire had came off the up down solenoid. It must of jiggled loose or something. It was a pain in butt with the plow all the way up. I am glad it was an easy fix.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear it was a quick fix. Hope you squeezed the terminal a little before reinstalling it, it's a good practice to prevent this issue again. If you ever find yourself in this situation again, do as I mentioned and crack the lift hose. It's much much safer that way not to mention far easier to remove the pump cover. :salute:

11. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I've seen a lot of problems with a bad connection on these connections, though not as much as the 11 pin connector, but it seems to be a problem when the plow gets some age to it. B&B, do you use any dialectric grease on these to prevent corrosion? How about where the ground wire hooks to the coils?

12. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

B&b, I did crimp it down to make sure it won't do it again. Instead of cracking the hose to relieve the pressure, I just put a Jack on the plow and lifted it up a lil to take the pressure off and took out the 2 cotter pins on the cylinder and took the cylinder off and let the plow down. I didn't really feel like having a fluid mess in the shop. Again, thanks everyone for their help.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely but I use FF instead of dielectric grease after connections are made. And that includes all the varoius connections behind the pump cover and at least once a season or any time the cover is removed for routine service or diagnostic purposes. Coil terminals, grounds, the rear of the SH switch and a little on the motor terminal(s) because an ounce of prevention is still well worth a pound of cure. Plus Dano likes us to go through it like water. :D