1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't lift...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Brian Ski, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Brian Ski

Brian Ski Junior Member

I have a Fisher speedcast 8' plow with an electric hydraulic pack behind the plow... (outside the engine compartment) Cable controls. They seem to be in adjustment. End of last season it started raising slow. I changed the fluid and same thing... Trying it out now, yep same problem... Before when the plow was heavy the motor would strain (whine) and pull the battery down... Now it raises a little but doesn't pull the battery down much... It has some years on it... The fluid seems to be a little burnt... L&R doesn't have much of a load and works normal...

Bad pump??? Pressure relief??? Motor brushes look good....

Not sure how to check pump pressure and are the pumps rebuildable???

Thanks for any help...

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have good voltage at the motor when it's running? If it's OK, probably a pressure test would be next. Either a hydraulic shop or plow dealer. I don't know the exact value, but it should be up around 2000 psi.

3. Brian Ski

Brian Ski Junior Member

Will check voltage and where do you check pressure??? Is that a tap on the L&R valve body???

4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicAre there screens for the hydraulic fluid that might be plugged. Is it possible to move the levers at the ends of the cables at the pumps by hand to see if it is just a cable problem.. With the battery not feeling much of a load it would seem to me that due to cable adjustment you are not getting full hydraulics at the pump.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know if there is a test port or if you can use the lift ram hose.

6. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

use the lift hose and around 1500 I put one in my neighbors truck last year his was at 700psi when I changed the pump and looked at it, it was all pitted he is not very big on changing his fluid good luck

7. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

there is no lift hose on the style pump he has.. the piston is built into the whole power pack..

I dont have the book in front of me for the pressure port but there is one.. but did you check the cable adjustments? there is a filter also.. remove the motor and you can clean out the reservoir .. also a little tip ** fill the fluid with the motor off.. it will be much easier..

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

9. Brian Ski

Brian Ski Junior Member

Your right... The lift is built into the pump... I worked the cable by hand and same problem... Learned last year easy as heck to fill with the motor off... 4" hole is much easier than the 3/8" one...

Heading back out to give it another look...

Thx...

10. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

My Meyer was angling well but not lifting well a few weeks ago....turns out the cup seal at the bottom of the lift ram was shot....about $10 for a new one....worth a look.

11. Brian Ski

Brian Ski Junior Member

Well I got it figured out.... I took out the pump and looked it over... It looked worn but not real bad... I bit the bullet and cleaned out the tank and emptied the cylinders... New pump and new blue fluid... Runs great smooth and fast...

Thanks for the help guys...