1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow wont lift

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by R.P.M, Nov 14, 2010.

1. R.P.M

R.P.M Junior Member

i have an older ultra mount and its mounted on an 04 ram 1500 ...when i bought this plow the wireing plugs were shot so i went to the local crappy tire and bought a 6 pin trailer conector and a 4 pin flat conector ...i wired everything up and the plow worked great all last season ....i stored the plow for the off season ..and a week ago hooked everything back up to get the unit ready and all i got was the plow would go left and right ....so i started by checking connections and found wroughted wires at the conectors so i replaced the conectors again ..and i still only get left and right ....when i move the joy stick to the up possition the plows strains to go left and right and the lift cyl does nothing at all ...any one have any idea whats going on with this b4 i have to spends hundreds to figure it out ...thanks Tom

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Probably no voltage thus no magnetizim at the S3 valve. Check it for mag with a screwdriver, I think you'll find there isn't any and it's likely due to an issue in your connector plugs or close there in the control harness. Easy enough to track down with a test light.

3. R.P.M

R.P.M Junior Member

I've tested all wires and I also took the cover off at the solenoid and tested for power there when I hit the control. And it is getting power to the lift solenoid. But alls that happenes is it strains and doesn't work.

4. MGriffin

MGriffin Junior Member

I had a similar problem and my left angle cylinder was frozen.

5. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

HEY If any help . I have a unimount poly 7.6 and it worked fine last year. I went and hooked it up the other week and left and right ok up and down slow. Check the wireing and all was ok selinoids ect ect. Talked to some one on here and was told due to sitting out side all year to check my packing and so I sprayed the heck out of it with PB BLASTER. Let it sit awhile and sprayed it again and it does work much better and NO STRAIN up or down hope this can help a little

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The fact that it "twitches" left/right while trying to raise means the S3 isn't opening.

Pull the S3 valve, flush it and give it's internal spool a few strokes with a small screwdriver. If it moves, flush it once more then re-install it and try again.

7. DIRISHMAN

so basic the S3 is stuck closed or partialy open allowing a small amout of hydro thru casins the twiching correct BB ?????

8. R.P.M

R.P.M Junior Member

So I will have to take the solonoid out and clean it good and put it back in is what ur suggesting to do ?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Partially yes. When pressure is built but no valves are shifted the pressure is directed to the left angle ram. But again since no valves are open the right cylinder can't collapse as the pressure enters the left side; thus the left ram is pushing against the right one but it has nowhere to go. Therefore the twitching effect each time a function is pressed.

Correct, if you can get the spool to move. If it's stuck then replacing the valve is the next approach.

10. DIRISHMAN

THANKS BB THERE SHOULD BE MORE GUYS LIKE YOU ON HERE AWSOME JOB :bluebounc :salute:

11. R.P.M

R.P.M Junior Member

Well when I get home tonight from work I will give this a try. I really do appreciate all the tips and help. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again