1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't lift/raise

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by bpoint, Feb 18, 2013.

1. bpoint

bpoint Junior Member

I have a Blizzard 800 that is about 4 years old. I have used it a couple times this winter without any problems. Went to hook it up yesterday, and the arm of the powerhitch grabs the truck and you see the truck dip a bit with the added weight of the plow, but it doesn't actually raise the plow, and you hear that kind of end point whine of the pump. It turns left and right fine, but when you try to lift it, either directly on the powerhitch or in the cab, it doesn't work. Any ideas?

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Try tightening the bolt and nut on the actual claw. Sometimes it gets loose without appearing so and just slips so you don't notice it's the problem.

3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Valve stuck in float?

4. bpoint

bpoint Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I checked the claw arm and it seems tight. I noticed I am missing a shoe on the right side. I remember that earlier in the week, while I was driving with the plow up and angled right, it made a loud band when I went over railroad tracks. I assumed it just bottomed, but it must have ripped the shoe off entirely. Wonder if something else happened and is why it won't work now. I changed the fluid in hopes that would do something, I think the pump is happier, but no change in lift. I pulled the s6 solenoid off to see if that would do anything. The claw works with it on, didn't with it off. So, didn't really tell me anything. If the "valve is stuck in float" how do I check? Not sure what valve you mean...S6? When I look under the truck it doesn't look like the claw arm fits snugly to the truck plow frame, but I can't remember how it looked before I had this problem. I pulled up perpendicular to the plow frame so that I could power it and see what the assembly does when I put it up and down. It looks like it extends the claw and arm completely, it just doesn't continue to engage and lift after that.
    Now to try and find a plow shoe....

IMG_1735.jpg

5. bpoint

bpoint Junior Member

Duh!! Well, I will own up to it, if only to spare some other poor soul the trouble I went through. So, it was the stupid drop arm thing. I looked at it earlier too, knew something wasn't right, but it didn't click. Put it back up into position and...Voila! All good. At least it got me to change the fluid, which was long overdue. Located a shoe up in Manchester and will pick up tomorrow. Hard/impossible to find online....which would be my preference. Anyway, thanks so much for the replies!!

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Got piles if shoes, lol. Glad it was just your draw latch.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Doh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!