1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow won't lift or angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Purplerays6, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Purplerays6

Purplerays6 Junior Member

Hey guys,

My unimount worked for the last two days, now it's 5 degrees and it slowed down, and now won't hardly lift or angle at all. I barely got it up to take it home. I have changed the filter in February, and switched to the Western blue fluid. The fluid level seems to be ok, no leaks, the motor runs. Is it the pump, a valve, or what?

Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

When you made the switch did you drain the entire system and flush it before refilling?

3. Purplerays6

Hey, thanks for answering. Yes, it was all flushed out. Stuff was all gelled up inside, I was just using atf. I changed the filter, and flushed the whole system, rams and all.

4. gdavis67

gdavis67 Junior Member

Me too

I posted a message this morning and am having some of the same problems. I need to flush and fill mine, but I'm not very familiar with the western pump system - BOSS guy normally. How did you flush and drain your system?

5. Purplerays6

I found the procedure on the western website. I know a guy at a dealership too. Coffman GMC in Aurora il. Pull the motor out of the top, suck out all the fluid, the pump is down in the bottom of the unit. On the side is a small thimble size filter, which was clogged with ice and debris. Move the plow back and forth to empty the cylinders, then refill. I think I angled once each way, and then check the fluid level. Use the plug on the passenger side top of the unit. Fill until it runs out the top. If you look around on the western website, in the section that matches your particular plow. They have parts diagrams, troubleshooting guides, etc.

My friend at the dealership said to use a suction pump, or a turkey baster to get all the fluid out. He also said to try a little gas lin antifreeze, maybe a teaspoon, or a tablespoon if you feel lucky. I'm looking for a heated garage to use right now, it's 3 degrees right now outside Chicago.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid change.instruction

fchA.jpg

fulid change.jpg

fluid change2.jpg

fulid change.jpg

fluid change2.jpg

fchA.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009