1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow wont lift & angles right instead of left

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MI Plow Guy, Feb 13, 2007.

1. MI Plow Guy

MI Plow Guy Junior Member

I have an 06 superduty diesel with a used 04? western ultramount straigt blade w a hand held controller. The plow intermitantly does not want to lift but it will after trying a few times (once I backed up & that seemed to help it lift. Usually when the lift acts up the angle function also acts up by going right when I push the left button and stopping hard. To make it go left I have to hold down the left button let it go all the way right and then it will return to the left and work for a little while. The right & down functions always work.

I checked the plows fluid level which had recently been changed, cleaned the battery connections on the plows motor, cleaned all the connectors and added di electric grease, removed the solenoid & valves & checked for movement and ran fluid through to flush anything out. Its still doing it. My friend thinks it may be debris in the hydraulic system and suggested replacing the original cylinders or disasembling the tank motor unit to clean it out. I hate to go through all that work & money.

Has anybody else had this problem or have any suggestions?

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

It sounds like your friend is correct. Most likely there is debris stuck in one of the spool valves. It could be a bit of an o-ring, seal, or even metal from battered stop rings on the angle cylinders (because of overtravel due to a worn pivot point in the a-frame). Sometimes the piece will move enough that your problems go away breifly, only to be moved back in to a position again that restricts the proper flow path. If the cylinders are overtraveling, a complete teardown and throrough cleaning is probably needed. You have to find out what the debris source is and go from there.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Something's wrong with your S3 valve/coil assembly or the electronic's that operate it.. The S3 valve is responsible for the two function's that your having problems with.If it doesn't open when your trying to raise the plow,it won't raise. And if it doesn't open when you try to angle it left,it will go right instead, which is exactly what your experiencing. Now it could be the valve itself or in the wiring to the valve or even in the controller itself. You can check to see if the valve/coil is getting power with a test light.Have a helper move the controller to the raise function while holding a test light on the wire terminal on the S3 coil.The S3 coil is the one farthest to the passenger side of the plow and will have a light blue wire on it.The light blue wire is the one you want to check with the test light.Does it have check ok with the test light? If so the replace the valve/coil.

4. MI Plow Guy

MI Plow Guy Junior Member

Thanks, I replaced the S3 coil and valve w'ell see if it helps.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Great,hope it's fixed but if you find you still have the problem, use the test light method like I mentioned to see if it's getting power to the S3 coil.