1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't lift all the way up by itself--HELP!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by ahaycoman, Apr 25, 2011.

1. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I have an 810 of about '02 vintage and I've had normal problems off and on over the years, but nothing I couldn't get figured out one way or the other...we have no dealer closer than 225 miles so most of this is left up to me to learn by trial and error.

Last week's snow event was a very wet heavy snow and by the end of my route the blade would not lift high enough in a straight across position to clear the ground and back up, but if I angled it all the way it would lift enough to then straighten it out and be high enough to clear the ground by a couple of inches at best...enough to back up anyway.

It was working fine before the storm and I've had the experience several times in the past of having snow work it's way inside the body of the blade thereby making it very heavy to lift. When I'd get back to my shop I'd just set it down on jack stands and let it drain into some pans so I didn't think too much about it this time, especially with the very heavy and wet snow.

But when I went out tonight to take off the battery chargers and check things out by lifting it, it wouldn't lift any better. But--GET THIS--while engaging the toggle switch on the pump cover in the lift position, I could grab hold of one of the trip springs (or anything else handy) and pull up with very little effort and the blade would easily raise to it's full height.

I had rebuilt the power hitch linkage and pins in November before our first snow and had to do it again about a month ago because of a lot of gravel roads I had had to plow, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I checked the fluid and it's OK. I hear no strange noises or anything. I just ran out of any more ideas. Has anybody had this happen to them and can give me something to look at? I thought maybe the pump is getting weak but everything else but the lift seems just as strong as it's ever been?

I'm losing sleep over this one so please give me some answers.
  2. mjazd

mjazd Junior Member

Hello, Had the same issue I found the the power quick connect was not pushed in all the way . the last 1/8 in. made the connection. goodluck.
  3. damian

damian Senior Member

pump could be worn,you need to install a pressure gage and dead head the pump by unplugging the solenoid connector or just jump the solenoid.see what the pump puts out.if i remember corectly you should have 1700psi.drain the reservoir,if you have black stuff on the bottom it is usually a sign the pump is ng,the motor you have is not grounded well and sometimes the motor will ground thru the pump causing arcing and rapid wear of the shaft and bore.i weld a bolt to the motor housing and ground that.also check that the pump pick up tube has not flipped up in the reservoir unporting when you lift,good luck.