1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PLOW wont go up or down just clicks

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by csjeep31, Dec 2, 2007.

1. csjeep31

csjeep31 Junior Member
    from ny

hello put my plow on today and it wont do anything just a fast clicking noise wont lift or angle checked wires and everything tight and free of corrosion. checked fluid level and also is good checks wires to all the fuses or whatever they are and they are all good. tries bypassing the wiring by running jumper cables from battery to starter on the plow and same clicking noise. this is my 4th year with the plow and it dont see much use so i dont know whats wrong with it. closest dealer is about an hour or more away so trying to avoid that

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I would guess a bad start solenoid. By your description it sounds as if it is attempting to activate but is not completing the circuit internally. Did you try to jump power from the power out side of the solenoid directly to the motor? Do you have 12 volts showing up at the motor?

3. csjeep31

csjeep31 Junior Member
    from ny

i tried going from my battery to the plow itself so that would be bypassing the seloined then right?? and i still got nothing but clicking

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Where on the plow are you hooking the 12v? try directly to the motor. I agree with Toby it sounds like a 12v motor solenoid.

5. toby4492

Yes doing it this way bypasses the solenoid. Try taking a screwdriver and cross over the terminals on the solenoid to jump the terminals. This simulates it working properly. You shoud be able to get motor activity. If so it tells me that the solenoid is bad.

6. csjeep31

csjeep31 Junior Member
    from ny

I will try the screwdriver on the selonoid to see if that works. I put the jumper cables right on the motor part of the plow to my jeep battery.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did you ground it?

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Just clicks? What type of plow, could be the motor

9. Mine too

interesting, mine is doing the same thing.
    Hey Toby
    How much does the start solenoid go for? I should call snow-way and get owners manual and fluid as well.

10. toby4492

Pricing is best obtained through an authorized retaielr. An owners manual for your plow can be obtained through our website. Click on the service center link, parts & service manuals link, and then find the owner's manual based on the plow that you have.

11. thanks toby

looks like i can convert my st to a 22 series .....what are the advantages of the 22 over the ST? Is it just the quick mount?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  12. toby4492

Higher blade profile, easier to use mounting system, EIS lighting system to name a few. If you are converting your ST to the 22 series mount you will receive an upgrade to the current production mounting system and lift linkage system of the 22 series.

http://www.snoway.com/service/Service Kits/97101306a.pdf

This link will take you to a manual for the conversion kit so you can see what is all involved.

13. yup looks great, but there looks like a little more involved then I'd feel comfortable doing. If it's aint broke...don't fix it......I pick up a solenoid on Monday....thanks for your input

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Way to much money, stick with what you have.

15. csjeep31

csjeep31 Junior Member
    from ny

ok i have found out what the problem is now i need help with how to fix without having to spend 100.00 to fix it. the red cable that goes to the 150 amp circut breaker under the hood is broken the cable end came off and broke. the problem is i have found cable ends at the auto part store but dont know how to put it on its to heavy duty to crimp on it it a 2 guage wire i know there has to be a way to do it but i dont know how.

16. 1pfieffer1

1pfieffer1 Junior Member

use a bench vise to crimp it on, it will get you through until you can get it crimped properly. If you aren't confident at that point, solder it on once it's crimped and it should work just fine. Worked for me........

:nod: