1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't go up down, left or right

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by meathead1134, Dec 29, 2008.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

Greetings everybody,

I just changed the battery in my truck a few hours ago cause the old 1 went dead. Now the dam plow won't move at all. I hear the clicking of the solonoids but thats it. I checked my connections at the battery and everything seems tight. My lights are working though. Can somebody point me towards the right direction on this 1 I'm really pissed off at the moment. Please help me out!!

2. JVRLandscaping

JVRLandscaping Junior Member

Do you have the cable from the battery to the solenoid hooked up? If you do, you can try jumping the terminals of the solenoid. Also you could use a test light to see if you have power from the battery to the solenoid.

3. meathead1134

from MA

Everything is connected, the realys are clicking when I hit the joystick.

4. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

check the relay

5. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I had the same prob but was cold out and seems like the pump was frozen. solenoid clicked and i just took out the propane torch and heated it up and 3 min later it worked..

6. meathead1134

from MA

Just as I suspected the relay was bad. Works even better now with a bigger and stronger battery.

7. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Curious what the relay costs?..also where r they usually located? I'm going on 6 yrs with my interstate battery and i think i'm going to change it for good measure this spring, what are some of brands you guys use and cranking amps?.can u go to high with the Cranking amps?.thanks..

8. JVRLandscaping

JVRLandscaping Junior Member

The relay is under $5. Its located between the plow pump and battery (you have to trace the hot cable back from the plow pump). I personally like the AC delco batteries the best. We used them in our shop for years, and put them on everything we had. My dad only has a single battery in his truck and has never had a problem with the lights going dim lifting up his western. I'd use a bigger battery though. It will help when using your plow. I always believed if you have more than enough cranking amps, the starter will only use what it needs.