1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wont go up, cause the lift is leaking?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Jan 14, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

The lift leaks a little. lifting cylinder does leak a little. it seems today the lift function has gotten weak. at times i try to lift and it only moves a small bit. keep trying and it will eventually go up.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

A bit of seeping around the gland nut of the lift ram is not unusual or serious. The seal is easy to replace or depending on the plow it may be a compression seal and you can just tighten it to make it seal. Not going up reliably has nothing to do with the leak unless your fluid is way low. You need to check pump pressure first to see if there is pressure for the valves to work with. Tell us what kind of plow you have and we can tell you how to do a pressure test. You can test before the valves and after. You probably have a worn out pump or your pressure relief valve is set too low, that happens as plows get old and the springs get weak.

3. birddseedd

conventional western.
    new 3way valve which worked well last year when replaced
    new control box

ty for help

4. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

How about moisture in the system . Seems like ya got two threads going on the same problem. Oil doesnt cause rust. If the weather has been cold there , maybe its iced up inside. First thing I do when I have plow trouble is take it in my shop where its warm, let it sit for a bit and start from there.

5. birddseedd

no shop, but since its leaking, it is possible for it to have moisture in it. once i get it appart i can know much more about it. i plan on getting the rebuild kit monday i hope.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I agree, if your area is cold enough to freeze moisture trapped in the pump this will stop it from moving up. If you haven't changed the fluid in a while it would be a good idea to get it into a warm shop (so the ice melts) and purge the fluid when you rebuild the ram.