1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wont go up and down???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ServiceOnSite, Oct 4, 2008.

1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

im going to look at a straight blade this weekend. guy just got a truck from his father 97 2500 with a boss plow. hes says it wont go up and down. it will go left and right. what might have gone wrong??? he says its only a coulpe of years old. im just kinda worried that it might be truck side and if i put it on my truck itll work and then hell want more money. i really cant afford another plow right now. gotta pay for as much salt as possible.
    i figure if i can get it for a few hundred buks fine if not the hell with it.

but i just figured id ask what could go wrong with it if there was something common thats cheap to repair.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it wont go up then how is he sure it won't go down?...I bet it would if it would just go up first. :)

Several things that can cause this...but the #1 and #2 common things are either a broken pin in the plow side 13 pin connector plug from someone being rough with it, or a loose or disconnected wire at the lift coil on the valve manifold.

Easy enough to check the connector plug for broken pins. And to check to see if the lift coil is getting the command to lift simply remove the pump cover and check the white wire directly at the lift coil with a test light while a helper presses the raise function...be careful of blade movement. The lift valve/coil assembly is the one lowest on the front of the manifold.

You can also temporarily hot wire this lift valve with a jumper off the pos post on the pump motor to get the plow in the air, or for transport if you do find that the white wire is dead.
  3. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

If you can get it for a few hundred, take a heavy duty ratchet strap with you and lift it with that. When you get home or down the road, then figure out what is wrong. It would definitely be worth fixing!
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You mean you CAN short chain a cylinder lifted plow??? :D
  5. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I agree take it if it's cheap. The worst it could be is the lift cylinder. I had the same issue with mine 2 seasons ago replaced the lift cylinder all was ok.
  6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

& thats a strong SELLING POINT!! LOL :D
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually no, thats why most owners are not even aware that you can if need be...unlike some plow manufactures ;).
  8. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Short chain?? My plow doesn't have a chain!!:D

Last year I bought a heavy duty ratchet strap at Harbor Freight for $15. It's rated for 3k lbs. My pump motor failed on me last year and had to use it to get back to shop. Worked great!
  9. Indy

Indy Senior Member

S"OS I had a similar problem once and it was a super simple fix, may or may not be the same as yours.........at the power (+- ) plugs, where the go from the truck to plow, each side of the plug has a split plug (male) on each side, gentley, take a small screw driver and spread those until you have a tight connection when you re-connect, this made mine runn sparatic at different angles and no up and down, also check any grounds you have, make sure they are clean and tight.
  10. ContLand

ContLand Junior Member

Yeah, usualyy for us it is always the connections, Like Indyplowers says try spreading the +ve and -ve pins. With one of ours the fault was back just behinds those pins, wiggle the wires while you use the smart hitch toggle to indicate when you get power, then go inside the truck and lift.
  11. ContLand

ContLand Junior Member

don't forget to set the controller on float first!