1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Wont Go Down, No Power To Joy Stick

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by AJ94RAM, Dec 5, 2007.

1. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

I Have A Western Poly Pro Plow With Unimont System On A Dodge Ram 2500. Last Night When I Hooked It Up, I Checked Up Side To Side Then Down, It Did'nt Want To Go Down So I Roataed The Joystick Quikly And It Went Down. I Then Checked Again And It Went Up And Down Fine. This Morning I Went To Plow For The First Trime This Year, Plow Went Up, Got To First Lot And Plow Would Not Go Dow, Worked Sise To Side But Would Not Go Down, I Thought Maybe It Was The Connection For The Joy Stick, Played With That, Wire Came Loose, Thought That Was It, Re Connected Wires, Now I Have No Power To The The Joy Stick( Red Light Not On, No Side To Side, No Nothing, Cant Figure Out, Already Spent 1000 Dollars On Truck To Get Ready, Hope This Is Something Simple And Cheap. Any Help Greatly Appeciatted.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you actually test the power wire right at the controller with a test light to see if it actually was getting power? It should have an in-line fuse in it also.

If you know it's getting power but it's still completely dead, then the PC board is probably bad. You can buy a replacement PC board for your controller

3. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

I Checked All The Wires At The Controller, No Power Any Where.

4. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

I Checked All The Wires For Power None At Any Of Them

5. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

Checked All The Wires At Controller, No Power At All

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then it's no wonder it doesn't work... if the red power wire isn't getting power then either the inline fuse in it is blown, or whatever you have it connected to is dead (you did have the ignition on right?). Use the test light and find a power source in the fuse panel that has power with the ignition on and connect it there.

7. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

I Don't See An In-line Fuse, Could It Be Under The Hard Braided Covering They Have Over The Harness, Possibly Near Where It Tees Off Just Outside The Firewall? Plus The Controller Light Has Always Come Without The Ignition Being Turned On Since Thay Installed It Back In 98'. Killed The Battery Before.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like whoever installed it way back when ran the red power wire out through the firewall and connected it to something hot, like maybe the battery? The power wire is supposed to be connected to an ignition hot source inside the truck so that the controller only has power with the key in the run position...

Follow the wire and see where it goes...

And I'd install an inline fuse in it too if you find it doesn't have one..

9. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

The Other Thing I Noticed By Looking At The Schematics From Western Is The Motor Relay Shows Brown/red Wire Going To One Of The Small Terminals, Then An Orange/black Wire Going To The Other Terminal, Then Coming Off And Going To The Negative Side Of Battery. My Orange/black Wire Comes Off And Is Grounded To The Screw Mounting Motor Relay To The Body. Does This Make A Difference, Like I Said, The Original Problem Was The Plow Would'nt Lower, I Think The Loss Of Power May Be From That?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The org/blk ground wire should definitely be run to the battery... much more reliable that way..

11. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

I Jumped Poweer Directly From The Fuse Panel To The Incoming Red For The Controller, (hand Held Joystick) I Now Have Power, Plow Goes Left And Right, But Wont Go Down, This Was The Original Problem That Started It All.

12. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

Plows Working, It Was A Bad Connection At The Plow Connectors, I Closed The Female A Little More And Filled With Lithium, Working Now, Hope It Keeps Working, I've Got To Start Making Back The $1000.00 I Spent To Get The Truck Ready, Hope It Snows. Going To Run A New Power Line With In Line Fuse To Fuse Box, Still Never Found Original Power Feed Or Fuse.