1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow wont go down all the way?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sslongmuir, Feb 16, 2010.

1. sslongmuir

sslongmuir Junior Member
    from Maine

I cleaned out all my valves and filters and got the plow working decent but the plow wont go down all the way without forcing it. I added weight and shortend the chain and worked it a bit and it would go down with the extra weight but when i took it off and set it where i would plow it will still lower to about an inch off the ground. I think the ram is sticking inside at the very bottom and dont know what to do to fix that. any ideas? how hard is it to tear down an E47 pump?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are you 100% absolutely positive the lift ram isn't bent? That's the usual cause of a very tight ram. They'll usually lift and lower without too much problem even with a considerable amount of rust in the cylinder bore but once you run it through that rust a few times it wipes the ram seal out thus it stops lifting or it leaks down quickly. If that isn't the case then I doubt its a rust issue.