1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow wont function

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 1423herman, Nov 18, 2010.

1. 1423herman

1423herman Junior Member

hey guys new to the site i just installed a 8ft ultra mount on my 2005 2500hd. i did everything myself, when i plug the plow in the lights transfer to the plow lights and the controller has all lights on. when i hit any button on the controller the selenoid on the truck and the plow click but the plow does nothing. any ideas or tips would be great

thanks john

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

new or used plow? New or used electric parts?

3. hightop

hightop Member

Use a jumper cable to bypass the solenoid at the truck for a second & see if the motor runs. That should narrow down your problem.

4. 1423herman

1423herman Junior Member

its a used plow about 1 1/2 years old but all new wirng and new solenoid on truck

5. 1423herman

1423herman Junior Member

hey hightop should i just run straight power to the motor right from the battery

6. hightop

hightop Member

You can do that, just connect the positive side to the positive motor lug, and touch to the battery briefly. If it doesn't run, you can ground the neg side to test for a good ground also.

7. international73

international73 Junior Member

bump for this!!! having the exact same problem? checked all connections with test light, replaced all fuses.. the motor relay just clicks... did you get this problem fixed?

8. hightop

hightop Member

Have you tried bypassing the relay, as I advised the OP? What happens?

9. international73

im gonna go give it a try now :help:

10. international73

So connect Posi+neg at battery, then posi+neg at the motor? Then try to operate?

k im getting nothing from the motor...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  11. international73

bump for losing money

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

John....what do you mean the solenoid clicks on the plow as well? There is no plow solenoid.

Go over all of your connections once again. Double check that all of your connections on the plow are tight as well.

Next bridge the connection on the solenoid on the truck, big terminal to big terminal. Does the plows motor run? if yes, then you most likely have a control issue. If not, then connect power to the motor directly, does it work now? If yes, then replace the solenoid, if not, replace the plows motor.

13. Emeraldturf1013

Emeraldturf1013 Junior Member

holy crap... I've been having the same problem!!!! Aaahhh!!! I just bought a plow from a guy who took really good care of his stuff..., Came with wiring, mount, plow, everything. Spent the last two days monkeying with this with a couple other guys. Same. Exact. Problem. One of my friends thinks the pump/motor is the issue. I am hoping not.

14. Emeraldturf1013

one more thing guys... I am taking it in(half of it, can't pick the plow up to bring it in) to a dealer. Be careful, I was monkeying around, trying to get it to work and shorted something and took out my climate control tonight! No heat! Hopefully nothing major...

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm not even going to ask how you managed that. Sure, I've blown a BCM attempting to fix a truck electrical problem :whistling:
    ....but to mess something up unrelated on the truck while monkeying with the plow.....your a better screw up then I my friend. :laughing: :salute: Let us know how you make out.

BTW, take a jack and lift the plow up, then short chain it. Then you can bring the whole thing to them.

16. Emeraldturf1013

ha ha ha repoman.. it wasn't me that blew the climate control, but one of my buddies trying to help me. But I have screwed up some stuff in my time. Anyways, thanks for the advice. Funny I didnt even think of short chaining it to get it to the shop... we did that to move it around the yard! Duh! A very large part of our problem, advice for others, was a wire fell off one of the relays that I couldnt see when I picked the plow up from the seller. Also, my ground wasn't very good. Helped get the lights on the plow working atleast, before I had nothing. And there is power to the plow, checked that with a tester light.