1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow wont drop?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by casey8693, Oct 29, 2008.

1. casey8693

casey8693 Junior Member

hello,
    I have an early model cable operated western that i have put some work and money into still has one problem. I put new hoses, connectors, side shift cyl's, clean fluid and screen, and cables. worked great for one season, now up/ down control has an issue. Plow will raise but wont lower unless i turn the valve manually with pliers or screw driver. I have been able to adjust so it will lower but the i have to manually turn valve to raise. There doesn't seem to be enough travel in the cable to fully turn valve in both directions. Could this be an indication of a dirty or blocked valve? or does it sound like it needs a rebuild? main cylinder seal is good doesn't leak down no fluid loss. Thanks for any help to point me in the right direction!!

2. redplowman

redplowman Member

Case, I have had one of those cable operated plows for 18 years. I have done about all there is to do with these plows. I highly recommend going to Westerns website and printing off the repair manual for that plow. Make sure the manual is for your model. In the manual you will find a nice trouble shooting guide that will help you make all the adjustments you need to get your plow running great again. I think that is all that is wrong with your plow and maybe you won't even have to buy one more part... Good luck and if you need any other info let me know.....

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does the cable move the lever at all? When you replaced the cables was it with the new all plastic housing cable? could be you have a broken or worn cable. the "cheap" cables without the wire wrap liner lose adjustment very quickly. Why you need to use adjustable cables in both positions so you can adjust the cable to keep the raise/lower working.

The other possibility is an out of adjustment lift valve, but I'll bet on a cable issue.

The link to the manuals

http://www.westernplows.com/publibrary.asp?cat=214

4. casey8693

casey8693 Junior Member

update: figured it out.
    Had to take the check valve apart and clean it up. had some corrosion between the nut/ housing and the shaft that the cable attaches to. thanks for the help